TripAdvisor - The best first job I could have hoped for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

"The best first job I could have hoped for."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

I say it's the best "first" job because by being expected to work on the full stack, and being surrounded by the most intelligent and helpful people you will ever meet, you learn a ton of software engineering skills very quickly. Also I want to note that in the time I've been here, the company has been growing quite a bit, and some of us had started getting concerned about losing some important parts of our culture, but upper management took this issue very seriously. The CEO himself set aside a lot of time to chat with us in a small group setting about specific aspects of the culture that we felt were important to maintain. I'm not sure exactly how much an hour of his time is worth in company dollars, but it absolutely solidified my company spirit. We're getting bigger, but not too big to care about the little things.

Cons

There was a time earlier this year when things got hectic. It was not a good time. I think that has passed. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
(Then again, I suppose there are a lot of companies out there which constantly have that level of stress.)

Advice to Management

I've noticed team managers have a lot less time to spend with their actual teams, they seem overcommitted. Also, please pick one project-tracking system and stick with it. I'm losing track of all the places I have to consult for project specs and update with my status. It's a little silly.

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

"Great company culture"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, great company culture that encourages personal career growth and movement within the organization.

Cons

Some of the reporting tools and resources used are in house and not as robust as other companies.

"Good Internship, flexible hours, small fast teams"

Pros

Good people, lots of fun. Located in Boston which is a nice change from the software's push towards California and NYC.

Cons

Not as many perks as other tech companies with which they compete for employees, fewer intern activities than desired.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Could be more emphasis on employee satisfaction.