TripAdvisor - Great business, 'OK' Engineering culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

"Great business, 'OK' Engineering culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton, MA
Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many promotion and raise opportunities if you do great work. Many smart people to learn from.

Product is getting better and better. Business is doing very well. You will learn many interesting things about running a large website.

Company favors incremental changes with metrics and emphasizes speed to market.

Cons

Nearly impossible to do an overhaul of a major page or a component, because it's so metrics driven. But it does happen sometimes, if the person pitching the idea is persuasive enough.

Related to the previous point, it's hard for designers and engineers to innovate and get company to invest on various ideas so they keep those to themselves. This is reflected by low hackweek participation rate and low activities in open source community and local tech events.

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

"DO NOT WORK HERE!"

Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the ONLY pros about working here are the decent benefits, the lack of dress code, and the mediocre snacks/kegs in the kitchen. These “pros” may sound inviting at first glance, but the snacks/dress code is now standard across tech companies/startups, so this is nothing to be wowed over.

Cons

Where to start… TripAdvisor fully bought us out at the end of 2013, and I can’t stress enough how awful this place has become.

1. Management: The complete management change from the TripAdvisor buy out is really what has driven this place into the ground. To start, nearly all of the original FlipKey management has either been forced out, or quit on their own, which has resulted in TripAdvisor robots filling all of the open management roles (as there is zero opportunity for growth and advancement from within). Rather than being judged on the quality of our work and the happiness/satisfaction of our clients, we are only graded on metrics. The only thing that matters is how many emails we send per day, how many cases we close, how many calls we make, etc. My hours are 9 am – 6 pm, but we are looked down upon if we don’t come in early and stay late (although we don’t get paid overtime). My manager requires me to be at my desk at all hours of the day, aside from lunch. If I step out to make a phone call or run to CVS across the street, I have to let her know. She reads through my emails to clients and will proceed to make corrections, and send me her updated versions to point out what I need to improve on, or how I could have phrased something better. Weekly check-ins have recently been implemented to go over every hour of my day, and to figure out how I can improve/how I can accomplish more. It doesn’t matter how hard I work or how well I do, I’ve never received praise or compliments, only told (in a rude, condescending, negative tone or email) I need to work harder and longer. Additionally, the clients are frustrated and unhappy with the TripAdvisor management change, so any client facing roles here at FlipKey are brutal as the clients are frustrated, upset, and downright mad.

2. Culture: Yes, there are snacks, kegs, and a ping pong table, but these “startup environment perks” do not make up for the terrible morale and high turnover rate. The far and few existing FlipKey employees are really the only good people left.

3. Pay: the pay is HORRIBLE – equally as horrible as management. Pay is significantly lower than similar roles at other companies, and annual raises barely exist, resulting in lack of future earning ability as well.

4. Room for growth and advancement: none whatsoever, in any department. FlipKey has zero interest in helping their current employees grow and develop (especially since the TripAdvisor takeover) and instead, hires externally for nearly all open positions. I’ve tried multiple times over the past 3 years to take on new projects and learn more about various fields of the business, but I have been denied with every attempt. The worst part about this is that management is well aware that this is a major issue, but chooses to do nothing about it. The only way to survive here is to keep your head down and do exactly as you’re told.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your employees for a change, and treat us like human beings rather than slaves. Stop trying to break us down, and instead, work on building us up. It couldn’t be more obvious how unhappy everyone is, so do something about it.

"Has so much potential but really needs to slap some wrists in upper management."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag

Cons

I agree with previous posts that poor performers are promoted due to "friendships" with management. Advancement is not based upon performance, it is based upon who you suck up to. HR is incompetent. When you reach out with an issue or a harassment case, they do everything in their power to sweep it under the rug rather than handle the situation. Those employees who do harass others are only reprimanded if they are not apart of management. If they are, forget it, everyone turns their head the other way. 360 reviews were supposed to be in effect for the past 2 years but still has not been enforced. Hoping that action would be taken if there was negative feedback. LOTS OF POLITICS

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees! The little people, the ones putting in all the work. They have concerns and comments. Take action when something isn't right. Have an open door policy for concerns so employees have a place to go when HR won't help. When more than 8 people quit because of one manager, I would start to look at the manager and not the employees.

TripAdvisor Response

Oct 9, 2014 – Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We take all allegations of harassment very seriously. We endeavor to respond quickly to ensure a swift resolution and communication of the outcome. Since Steve started ... More