TripAdvisor - DON'T BE FOOLED - TRIPADVISOR HAS A DARK SIDE! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

"DON'T BE FOOLED - TRIPADVISOR HAS A DARK SIDE!"

Current Employee - Sales in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Sales in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of down-to-earth nice employees to work with...you can make some great friends here. The company will give you some cool swag every now and then and some fun work outings to keep you happy. The benefits are also very good.

Cons

Sales is a complete disaster due to extraordinarily poor management. It's pretty bad when 50% of a sales team leaves in one month (and more to go soon) because of 2 people. A complete mass exodus is going on here! The majority of the junior and senior team are trying to move internally or leave the company all together. Goals are extremely inflated so that it is impossible to collect monthly commission. The big heads simply do not want to share revenue with the little people. Work goes unappreciated.

The structure of the account model is a mess. Territories were taking away...moving to an automated system which has been broken since January. The Speed Wins culture is a joke...it only means that they launch systems without thoroughly checking...resulting in larger messes and more fires to put out that before.

Managers have a closed-door policy. They only know your name when you are making money. The second you have a bad month...don't expect a hello in the hallway.

There is zero upward mobility based on merit. If you suck up to the managers then you will be ok...but if that isn't your style then you are out of luck. You can be a top performer but if the boss doesn't like you for whatever reason than you will rot on your desk for years to come.

So to recap - no organization, terrible leadership, no upward mobility, no commission...and some of the worst base salaries compared to other tech companies from within the industry. It's a great name on the resume but honestly not worth the headache and depression you will get. Also to put the cherry on the top - HR is corrupt and in cahoots with management, so if you every have a serious problem with your manager...don't bother going to HR.

Advice to Management

Open your doors and start listening to your employees! Don't promote employees just because you like drinking the same beer with them. Don't talk about employees to your other employees...be professional! Don't be a coward and hide in your office when the entire team is suffering without commission pay and a broken lead model. Promote from within for once (this rarely happens)! Go to some management classes instead of thinking that you already know everything. Management is using tactics from 1952. They like to answer your questions with another question to avoid addressing your concern. Wake up and change!

TripAdvisor Response

Oct 9, 2014 – Director of HR

Thanks for your candid feedback. We recognize that change can be hard, especially when it comes with shifts in leadership and priorities. However, within a speed wins culture, there’s a continuous... More

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

"Great business, 'OK' Engineering culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many promotion and raise opportunities if you do great work. Many smart people to learn from.

Product is getting better and better. Business is doing very well. You will learn many interesting things about running a large website.

Company favors incremental changes with metrics and emphasizes speed to market.

Cons

Nearly impossible to do an overhaul of a major page or a component, because it's so metrics driven. But it does happen sometimes, if the person pitching the idea is persuasive enough.

Related to the previous point, it's hard for designers and engineers to innovate and get company to invest on various ideas so they keep those to themselves. This is reflected by low hackweek participation rate and low activities in open source community and local tech events.

"DO NOT WORK HERE!"

Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the ONLY pros about working here are the decent benefits, the lack of dress code, and the mediocre snacks/kegs in the kitchen. These “pros” may sound inviting at first glance, but the snacks/dress code is now standard across tech companies/startups, so this is nothing to be wowed over.

Cons

Where to start… TripAdvisor fully bought us out at the end of 2013, and I can’t stress enough how awful this place has become.

1. Management: The complete management change from the TripAdvisor buy out is really what has driven this place into the ground. To start, nearly all of the original FlipKey management has either been forced out, or quit on their own, which has resulted in TripAdvisor robots filling all of the open management roles (as there is zero opportunity for growth and advancement from within). Rather than being judged on the quality of our work and the happiness/satisfaction of our clients, we are only graded on metrics. The only thing that matters is how many emails we send per day, how many cases we close, how many calls we make, etc. My hours are 9 am – 6 pm, but we are looked down upon if we don’t come in early and stay late (although we don’t get paid overtime). My manager requires me to be at my desk at all hours of the day, aside from lunch. If I step out to make a phone call or run to CVS across the street, I have to let her know. She reads through my emails to clients and will proceed to make corrections, and send me her updated versions to point out what I need to improve on, or how I could have phrased something better. Weekly check-ins have recently been implemented to go over every hour of my day, and to figure out how I can improve/how I can accomplish more. It doesn’t matter how hard I work or how well I do, I’ve never received praise or compliments, only told (in a rude, condescending, negative tone or email) I need to work harder and longer. Additionally, the clients are frustrated and unhappy with the TripAdvisor management change, so any client facing roles here at FlipKey are brutal as the clients are frustrated, upset, and downright mad.

2. Culture: Yes, there are snacks, kegs, and a ping pong table, but these “startup environment perks” do not make up for the terrible morale and high turnover rate. The far and few existing FlipKey employees are really the only good people left.

3. Pay: the pay is HORRIBLE – equally as horrible as management. Pay is significantly lower than similar roles at other companies, and annual raises barely exist, resulting in lack of future earning ability as well.

4. Room for growth and advancement: none whatsoever, in any department. FlipKey has zero interest in helping their current employees grow and develop (especially since the TripAdvisor takeover) and instead, hires externally for nearly all open positions. I’ve tried multiple times over the past 3 years to take on new projects and learn more about various fields of the business, but I have been denied with every attempt. The worst part about this is that management is well aware that this is a major issue, but chooses to do nothing about it. The only way to survive here is to keep your head down and do exactly as you’re told.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your employees for a change, and treat us like human beings rather than slaves. Stop trying to break us down, and instead, work on building us up. It couldn’t be more obvious how unhappy everyone is, so do something about it.