TripAdvisor - Rough treatment by management team but great coworkers and benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

"Rough treatment by management team but great coworkers and benefits"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA
Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

Gold-standard benefits, competitive salaries, stable high-growth company, smart and driven coworkers, great opportunities for young/new employees to learn and grow (to a certain point), easy access to highway for suburban people

Cons

Management team micro-manages, little room for experienced hires to grow, poor work-life balance, no thank yous or appreciation for good work, heavy territorial politics among senior management team, not easy access to the MBTA

Advice to Management

Give your mid-level managers enough guidance on what you want done and then back off and let them do their jobs. Stop reorganizing the company again and again.

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

"Great Job, Wicked Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

I'll start with the job part. Because I work on a small team I'm often able to take total ownership of what I'm working on which I find to be incredibly motivating. I can come up with an idea and literally see it through from start to finish. Obviously there are always times when I have to work on someone else's project or pitch in on other things, but generally speaking I've been allowed to essentially manage myself on a lot of things and I really like that. It's very, very rewarding to see something through from beginning to end and to know that if there's something you want to try there's a very good chance you'll have the opportunity. You don't need to be a silent robot here which was my biggest complaint about previous jobs and something I find incredibly demoralizing.

Personally, even though there is a lot of work, I also feel very well compensated. I've worked just as hard at other places for peanuts so there you go.

OK, now the perks--they're insane. Gym memberships, pet insurance, an iPod when you join, even help with adoption if you want it. Don't even get me started on Christmas.

Cons

As I said my team is small so there are times when I feel a little like I'm floating at sea on my own but really, those are the breaks. I'd rather have that problem than feel micro-managed.

Advice to Management

I guess I would say just keep the door open so-to-speak. I think the more communication there is the smoother things run.

"Experience Depends on Who Your Boss Is"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

TripAdvisor offers great benefits, but they're unfortunately overshadowed by bad middle-management and in my case, a horrible manager experience. Some of the benefits:
    - Pay is excellent
    - Benefits (health, dental, even pet insurance) are great
    - Free catered lunch three times per week
    - Unlimited snacks/beverages
    - Good number of vacation & sick days even for entry-level
    - Flexible in terms of time off/working from home (depends on supervisor, so I didn't benefit here)

Also, TripAdvisor has a ton of great people who are passionate about their jobs, and you can learn so much from them if you have the opportunity to work with the right people.

Cons

My experience at TripAdvisor was horrible because of my supervisor. She got me in trouble for being motivated and trying to take on more responsibility (in addition to what my role already required), which is so counterintuitive. Although the company boasts flexibility as a benefit (working from home during storms or when sick, or adjusting hours slightly if you live far away), my boss was a nazi about it. One time I got into a car accident in an ice storm on the way to work, and went back home to work from there the rest of the day, and she still gave me a hard time about not coming in.

Personal experience aside, there was also a lot of office politics in middle-management. Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable. But considering that the mantra is "speed wins," speed became impossible with the growing amounts of red tape around product reviews. Middle-management also manages by fear, so although the CEO encourages people to try new things even if it means failing, it's hard to take that leap when middle-management might hold your job accountable.

Although they claim that they prefer promoting/hiring from within (essentially, switching departments) it's near impossible to do so. If anything, you'll be belittled for asking. Also, don't ever confide in HR for anything. If you tell one of them something in confidence, it will be the newest office gossip the next day.

Advice to Management

Steve, take a good hard look at middle-management. You claim to have a no-assholes policy, but you hired plenty to work directly beneath you. TripAdvisor has tons of great people who are smart, friendly, and passionate about making TripAdvisor a better site and product. But they're being stifled by several of the VP/Senior-level people.