TripAdvisor - Good Benefits - Too many levels of management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

"Good Benefits - Too many levels of management"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Benefits package is great. Not only the 'normal' benefits that you get at a company, but being part of the Expedia network, there were a number of perks/discounts that you would get on travel.

Cons

Projects that I was working on kept having more and more layers of management added to them, until the managers were outnumbering the contributors. Scope creep was inevitable and projects that should have been pushed live months in advance, got held up with 'wait, one more feature before we release'

Advice to Management

Reduce the layers of middle management and move in a more agile manner, releasing code more frequently and iterating based upon feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

"Rough treatment by management team but great coworkers and benefits"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

Gold-standard benefits, competitive salaries, stable high-growth company, smart and driven coworkers, great opportunities for young/new employees to learn and grow (to a certain point), easy access to highway for suburban people

Cons

Management team micro-manages, little room for experienced hires to grow, poor work-life balance, no thank yous or appreciation for good work, heavy territorial politics among senior management team, not easy access to the MBTA

Advice to Management

Give your mid-level managers enough guidance on what you want done and then back off and let them do their jobs. Stop reorganizing the company again and again.

"Great Job, Wicked Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

I'll start with the job part. Because I work on a small team I'm often able to take total ownership of what I'm working on which I find to be incredibly motivating. I can come up with an idea and literally see it through from start to finish. Obviously there are always times when I have to work on someone else's project or pitch in on other things, but generally speaking I've been allowed to essentially manage myself on a lot of things and I really like that. It's very, very rewarding to see something through from beginning to end and to know that if there's something you want to try there's a very good chance you'll have the opportunity. You don't need to be a silent robot here which was my biggest complaint about previous jobs and something I find incredibly demoralizing.

Personally, even though there is a lot of work, I also feel very well compensated. I've worked just as hard at other places for peanuts so there you go.

OK, now the perks--they're insane. Gym memberships, pet insurance, an iPod when you join, even help with adoption if you want it. Don't even get me started on Christmas.

Cons

As I said my team is small so there are times when I feel a little like I'm floating at sea on my own but really, those are the breaks. I'd rather have that problem than feel micro-managed.

Advice to Management

I guess I would say just keep the door open so-to-speak. I think the more communication there is the smoother things run.