Tufts Medical Center - Awesome coworkers! | Glassdoor

"Awesome coworkers!"

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Tufts Medical Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were extremely nice to me. Everyone was hardworking, yet they had this laid back atmosphere, which made working there fun. My supervisor was open to all questions I had and never gave me a hard time.

Cons

The pay isn't that high. Well, in my case, I was a student who was only working there for the summer, maybe that's why. That's the only con I can think of during my time at Tufts Medical.

Other Employee Reviews for Tufts Medical Center

"The worst hospital in Boston"

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Tufts Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work with and care for patints with colleagues who are dedicated to their profession. Physicians and surgeons dedicated to their patients.

Cons

No accountability - finance and senior management are incompetent. The new CEO is over his head and is incapable of leadership

Advice to Management

The board need to take charge and hire a management team that can revitalize the hospital. The "old boy" network needs to be dismantled

"Physician colleagues - knowledgeable, collegial, bright. Administration - disorganized, uncommunicative, inadequate"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Boston, MA

Pros

My physician and nurse colleagues were wonderful. Smart, experienced, and collegial. Any urban, academic medical center has difficult clients, pressures to see more patients in less time, and organizational issues. My colleagues made difficult days easier to bear. Where administration fell down on the job, the staff support each other and fill in the gaps.

Cons

The hospital administration is sorely inadequate. Resources are stretched thin. Follow-through is poor. Solutions to problems are rarely strategic. There is an insider clique in administration, so if you're friends with a VP, then you get hired. It's no wonder Tufts is barely solvent the way the hospital is run. They still don't have an integrated electronic medical records system and many other systems are out-of-date. They inspire an apathetic work force, who don't care enough about the hospital to bring positive improvements, because they don't listen to or act on employee feedback. During their most recent employee survey, they couldn't get more than 63% of employees to participate, because most employees didn't trust the administration that the results would be anonymous.

Advice to Management

TMC administration should look carefully at why a large fraction of employees did not participate in the most recent employee survey. Many employees did not participate because of an essential mistrust in the administration. Administrators have a reputation for being an apathetic, out-of-touch, insider group who do not respond to or act on employee feedback. TMC is behind the times technologically and can't compete with it's Boston hospital neighbors financially. The hospital environment is dirty and tired. TMC needs to clean up its act.