Tulane University - Love the work, love the benefits, hate the bureaucracy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tulane University

"Love the work, love the benefits, hate the bureaucracy"

I have been working at Tulane University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tulane offers extensive benefits - a tuition waiver is the best of them. Tulane also offers challenging and interesting work. I can't think of a position that would be afforded interesting opportunities at least sporadically if not regularly. The location is fabulous, the working conditions are very good and for the most part, the staff is congenial. There are plenty of benefits to employment at this university.

Cons

My experience has shown me that the biggest flaw of the academic administration of Tulane is unneeded bureaucracy. The structure of my department of seven people includes four managers. There are more managers than subordinates in my office. While soothing to the egos of those incapable of doing the work, there is no reason to have that much bureaucracy in such a small department. In addition, I've found that many promotions are proof of the Peter Principle. Employees tend to stay at the university for a very long time, resulting in promotion beyond their level of expertise simply because they are the most senior. This is certainly true of my three direct superiors. It has resulted in a toxic environment that runs off of fear and lies, gossip and back stabbing. The purpose of the work is ignored and the manta of "cover your ass" has been adopted. It is truly unfortunate because I love my job, the work itself. But detox will be necessary eventually.

Advice to Management

Tulane should become a flatter organization. The number of levels of management is startling and stifling. My daily activities are micro-managed to give my manager a reason for being there. I am less efficient and produce a lower quality product as a result. Tulane should also work toward aligning all employees with the purpose of the university. Everyone in my department walks at 5pm. No one seems to have a commitment to the goals. Departments squabble and make working together unpleasant. No one wants to step outside of his or her role to help. We're not one team but many different teams that are subdivided and then headed by incompetent people because all of the teams need a manager. Or four. Unfortunately, my experience is not unique as I've heard similar stories from around campus. I've been made jealous by a few good stories as well, but the bad outweigh the good and the cost is dedicated and capable employees who can't take the abuse.

Other Employee Reviews for Tulane University

1. "It was a great job."

I have been working at Tulane University part-time

Pros

Gave me money to do other things around campus

Cons

I did not have any issues with this job

2. "Great pay for not a lot of work"

Pros

Easy job, good pay, free shuttle takes you downtown. 1 hour lunch breaks but they are unpaid!

Cons

Some team members came off as cold and 3 did not know my name at the culmination of my internship. Sometimes shuttle did not follow schedule and was late.