Turn - Excellent Place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Turn

"Excellent Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

I worked here over two months and find it a place to work. The people here are talented, friendly and like to share with you. The manager cares about you personal growth. The benefit here is great, better than most of companies I know. There are many actives to make you enjoy the life. Work-life balance is great.

Cons

I haven't find something that make me feel uncomfortable.

Other Employee Reviews for Turn

"could have gone the right direction and led the industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

used to have leading products and talents to lead the indurstry

Cons

Most people disagree with management team will get hammered or be plotted against. No more innovation. Top down driven management team who copycat competitors idea, transitioning from leading position to a mediocre follower. An incapable CEO who are trusting his familiar ears but not the ground people is doomed to be found out.

Turn Response

Jul 28, 2014 – Communications Manager

Turn takes the input and concerns of our employees very seriously, and we work to provide frequent opportunities for candid feedback and dialogue with management, from our interactive company ... More

"Dying star"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Industry leading technology. Potential for individual contributors to make impactful changes. Promotes from within.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros. Its like cutting a leg off of your track star before sending them off to the Olympics. Promotions from within is very good but Turn stuck to it to a fault. Management has been promoted beyond their capabilities. Whats left is a bunch of stale "leaders" that only know what they knew; they have no clear vision on where to go. Tidbits of whats being done in the industry gets picked up by the so called leaders and implemented with no clear understanding what they do and how they would actually benefit the company. "I heard Google has an SRE team. We should hire some people and build one." ...followed by 2 years of absolutely no progress.

Engineering culture is outdated and considered broken by today's standards. In today's fast moving environment, engineers are directly responsible for what they write. They participate in on call rotations. If you write bad code, your peers will feel the pain. Turn isn't that. Engineering "ships" code and relies on "operations" people to take the brunt of their ineptitude at 2am while they sleep with their phone ringer off. Unfortunately, senior engineering members who do care end up supporting these issues. It doesn't scale and slows down the company. Turn hires a lot of new grads and they're setting these kids up for future failure because they never learn to take responsibility for their work. Management doesn't see this. In fact, they want to build even more buffer between the reality of unstable software and their spoon fed engineers.

Competitors are gunning for this spot and even as a leader, this is will be the death blow to the company if not corrected. Competitors break things fast and fix it faster. Turn is just broken and can't even figure out if they are broken are not.

HR encourages new hires to write position reviews on GD during orientation week. Take those with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new set of eyes. -1 your management or send them to the hills.