Twilio - A once great company going super nova | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Twilio

"A once great company going super nova"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The smartest, hardest working people I’ve ever been associated with. Very good perks. For the first few months the most fun I've ever had at any company, then it went south.

Cons

Lots here:

- Because of the focus on shipping product there is huge technical debt and a very shaky code foundation that has resulted in costly customer impacting outages. There is a lot of lip service about fixing the problems but it is trivialized over shipping new features. This is very serious and begs the question about the long-term company viability.

- Developer burnout trying to keep the system up and ship product. Developers are expected to work all night on production problems and do their day jobs. There is a real lack of quality in the product.

- Management shenanigans have eroded their once prized culture with some very key people either being forced out or quitting out of frustration with direction or lack of career advancement.

- Cronyism in new hires. The hiring system was set up to keep this from happening but with new management they are bring in their friends.

- Management manages by Twitter, short term thinking and micro management rather than setting direction.

- An undercurrent of distrust between internal Engineering teams and between Engineering and the other teams in the company that is again leading to erosion in the culture and setting up favoritism.

- Senior managers believing in their and the companies built up propaganda, the feeling of invincibility.

Advice to Management

I would give advice but senior management is the problem and it would fall on deaf ears. They will weave whatever story they need to put themselves in a positive light.

Other Employee Reviews for Twilio

"Twilio is a great place to work, good people who care about the power of communications"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast. It's an exciting time to be there, and a fun place to work. The nine core values shape the environment. It's a lesser known startup with a lot of big customers, and it's cool to watch our customers succeed with our product.

Cons

Fast growth can come with a lot of awkward growth.

"Taste the Kool-Aid before diving in!"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

* 2 of the most tech-savvy, on-the-ball, market-aware and inspiring Senior Engineering Management I have ever worked with in my career
    * 2 of the most jaw-dropping, outstanding-in-all-areas and straight-shooting Software Engineers I have ever worked with in my career
    * Incredible learning and social networking opportunities for interns and new grads
    * Networking and learning opportunities available through invited Tech Industry speakers

Cons

* Rare instances of extremely inexperienced Tech Leads moving into Line Management. Character insecurities translate into Passing-the-Buck for issues; while Taking the Credit for successful design and code from others
    * On-Call Production Support Duty for some of the Legacy Code stack has become a 'four-letter-word' for those who are married and/or have children
    * Drive to ship fast and frequently works best with experienced Tech Leads. Otherwise, major technical debt and production support risk is/has been incurred
    * Test Environment and Product Deployment processes and tools need cross-team accountability for any serious progress in reliability and usability.

Advice to Management

* Vet your potential Leaders for character consistency. Adaptability applies for technical areas, but not for character. Nobody wants to work for an (A__Hole).
    * On Company Values: Watch the Guardians, Owls of Ga'Hoole.
    Consider its message for your employees, and their families.