Twitch - "Takeover by Amazon" coming soon. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Twitch

""Takeover by Amazon" coming soon."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, perks, and benefits. It comes down to these three characteristics for most people at Twitch. The pay has been excellent, the perks are what you would expect from a popular tech company in San Francisco, and the benefits are what you could predict when remembering Amazon, with hundreds of thousands of employees, is behind the company.

You'll be locked in a four year contract in order to get all of what you're worth to them. Odds are you won't want to stay here that long, so keep that in mind when first becoming lured by big numbers and shares of delicious Amazon stock.

Cons

Take everything you think you know about Twitch from the outside and shoot a paper basketball of your expectations and predictions into the nearest trashcan. Odds are you're not just off the mark in your assumptions but frighteningly misinformed at no fault of your own.

It is far more corporate and far less exciting than what Twitch Chat would imply...well, unless you're into chaos and juvenile internet behavior in a work environment. It's also important to remember that less than 25% of the workforce at Twitch has been at the company for more than two years.

It's starting to get ugly here. At its core - and you'll see this in many other reviews - you'll notice that when employees talk about "culture" at Twitch, they're really talking about the office design and free food. No, really. Take a look at the reviews on Glassdoor and notice how few define their co-workers as anything outside of "[being] gamers." That's because Twitch, since their foundation, spent years hiring notable gaming personalities and "friends of friends" and is now a hierarchical and bureaucratic nightmare.

Working hard and wanna get promoted? Good luck! The majority of the managers in place have either been hired from the outside onto teams who've been collaborating for years, or have been close allies and friends to the executive team prior to the acquisition by Amazon. This has led to an impossible journey to promotion for most so expect the title you start with to likely be the one you end up with regardless of tenure. Or if you're "fortunate" they'll change your title to something lofty if you put up enough of a fight with HR. As you've probably read in other reviews, this is running rampant within the company and most people have obscure and meaningless titles of seniority. You'll very commonly have meetings with multiple VP's and Director-level employees only to find out that none of them hold decision-making power.

Combine this hierarchical mess with interdepartmental disorganization and you have a company focused on "growth" at the expense of anything resembling a meaningful or healthy work culture. Most teams regularly converse about the fact that Amazon is encroaching a takeover of Twitch because of just how damn messy things are getting here. It's getting so bad that we've lost several business relationships because of how slow our legal and finance teams are at getting contracts executed and payments submitted on time.

Advice to Management

Stop holding up decisions and encourage fast paced honest engagement between department team members. Take a serious look at the structure of your org and be willing to fire senior employees who have struggled to lead their teams effectively. Don't act like you are the sole gatekeepers of knowing where Twitch should or shouldn't go. You have brilliant employees but you're leaving them untapped and worn out by the sluggishness and interdepartmental conflict that appears to go unnoticed by your executive colleagues.

Twitch Response

Feb 21, 2017

Thanks for the honest review. Would love to see if you're open to discussing further. I will definitely share your thoughts with the exec team and I'm sure they will discuss further as well . I would... More

Other Employee Reviews for Twitch

"Fantastic Company That Needs More Futuresight"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Passion for gaming, awesome teammates, great benefits, rewarding work, they allow you to be self-driven and motivated

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of transparency between teams, such that you don't know what's coming down the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of exposing company-wide what the company is working on and towards, both features and what the roadmap looks like

"Becoming more and more like Amazon"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch is a great platform that to connects to a great community. You definitely feel good and excited about the product you are working on, if you are into gaming it's a no brainer.
    Free lunch, snacks and expense accounts are good bonuses.
    There's some great people here (along with not so great people).

Cons

Becoming more and more like Amazon to please Amazon overlords. Freedoms are already being restricted. Several loops and back and forth for the simplest of expense reporting. In a few years I see the free snacks and lunch being greatly restricted and reduced in quality (they have already started it by reducing snack vendors).

I would only recommend to engineers. They are the ones more in the Twitch protected bubble and being in SF will likely to be the last mans standing for privileges. If you work corporate you are likely not going to enjoy it as much unless working at Amazon type environment appeals to you. If you are looking for a small business mentality look elsewhere. They also do not have landlines for individual employees so be prepared to put your personal cell phone on all your emails.

Managers are for the most part incompetent so many boosted titles because they were there for the takeover. I have never seen so many directors with no one to manage in my life. Granted it's a problem with lots of small businesses that boom but their ability to manage people is seriously lacking for the ones that do have them. Also because so many were there pre-take over there is definitely a clique and they will step over you, lie, etc in order to secure their positions and maintain status quo of their clique and ranks. I have had high up managers tell me to keep secrets from other managers.

I was also able to see behind the veil on how they treat popular streamers and they treat them like spoiled children who get their way regardless of what they do. These streamers are considered independent contractors so it's actually just an EEOC case waiting to happen there. I would not want to be in a position to deal with them or be apart of any fallout that comes from that so I would beware if you are looking for a partnerships role as you will take the bullet for your streamer.

Whoever wrote the review that working at Twitch is like Twitch chat is spot on. If you do decide to work here keep an eye out, be savvy and come to work everyday prepared to play the corporate game. Beware of those that smile in your face as they will be the ones to stab you in the back. Diversity is seriously lacking as well. CEO is a very smart guy to be looked up to but he definitely sold the company's soul to Amazon.

Advice to Management

Management training on how to effectively manage employees is vital. Also while it's good to consider all options and be mindful while you are in a small to big business transition model, don't be afraid to make decisions now to solve problems. Too many important issues sitting still for 6+ months without anyone taking action to solve them. I believe this is due to not wanting to be the one to take the risk and have it fail.

Twitch Response

Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for the feedback and I will certainly make sure the Exec team gets this feedback. Things are constantly evolving when a company grows at the rate Twitch has. Hopefully we'll continue to... More