Twitch - Looking back at almost 2 years at Twitch | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Twitch

"Looking back at almost 2 years at Twitch"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay if you join now. Typical benefits of startups

Cons

A year ago, I left a negative review hoping that Twitch would move in a positive direction.

While I agree with many opinions here that an Amazon takeover is imminent, I would argue that an Amazon takeover is the only way Twitch will survive into the coming years.

Twitch execs have proved that they are unable or unwilling to steer the company in the right direction. They lack the means or ability or authority to unify Twitch under one vision and direction. The countless failed features, products, and expansions are indicative of the total dysfunction, particularly in engineering, of Twitch. We still operate in a shout loudest get attention environment, we still cannot coordinate, we still cannot come to an agreement on any sort of standard or baseline. We cannot even properly hold a new hire Eng edu class because nobody can agree on what to teach or how to properly do things.

As a side note, it's absolutely unacceptable that a director chooses to walk around the office with no shoes or socks. Or run up and down the hall like a giggling child.

On compensation, it's insane the salary disparity here. Basically anyone hired roughly the year since the acquisition is woefully underpaid. It's an uphill battle to try to promote or even increase salary. Yet, new and unproven employees are given ludicrous salaries and hiring managers are basically told, "it's just a number".

I welcome Amazon. While it'd be great to keep Twitch culture alive, I'd rather be unhappy but functional than unhappy AND dysfunctional. More to the point, Twitch culture is just a formality now - a way to trick star struck people to join the company. It's already gone, might as well move on and at least try make Twitch functional.

Advice to Management

We are in desperate need of a CTO. We need a CEO that understands hwo to run a company not a startup CEO.

Mar 6, 2017

Appreciate the feedback. I sincerely encourage you to talk further with our VP of HR or myself. I will absolutely make sure your feedback is relayed to the exec team. I hope to chat with you... More

Other Employee Reviews for Twitch

"Gamers!"

Pros

-Gamers
    -Passionate workers
    -great community
    Everything about Twitch is amazing, they care

Cons

I haven't had any complaints

Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for the feedback

""Takeover by Amazon" coming soon."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, perks, and benefits. It comes down to these three characteristics for most people at Twitch. The pay has been excellent, the perks are what you would expect from a popular tech company in San Francisco, and the benefits are what you could predict when remembering Amazon, with hundreds of thousands of employees, is behind the company.

You'll be locked in a four year contract in order to get all of what you're worth to them. Odds are you won't want to stay here that long, so keep that in mind when first becoming lured by big numbers and shares of delicious Amazon stock.

Cons

Take everything you think you know about Twitch from the outside and shoot a paper basketball of your expectations and predictions into the nearest trashcan. Odds are you're not just off the mark in your assumptions but frighteningly misinformed at no fault of your own.

It is far more corporate and far less exciting than what Twitch Chat would imply...well, unless you're into chaos and juvenile internet behavior in a work environment. It's also important to remember that less than 25% of the workforce at Twitch has been at the company for more than two years.

It's starting to get ugly here. At its core - and you'll see this in many other reviews - you'll notice that when employees talk about "culture" at Twitch, they're really talking about the office design and free food. No, really. Take a look at the reviews on Glassdoor and notice how few define their co-workers as anything outside of "[being] gamers." That's because Twitch, since their foundation, spent years hiring notable gaming personalities and "friends of friends" and is now a hierarchical and bureaucratic nightmare.

Working hard and wanna get promoted? Good luck! The majority of the managers in place have either been hired from the outside onto teams who've been collaborating for years, or have been close allies and friends to the executive team prior to the acquisition by Amazon. This has led to an impossible journey to promotion for most so expect the title you start with to likely be the one you end up with regardless of tenure. Or if you're "fortunate" they'll change your title to something lofty if you put up enough of a fight with HR. As you've probably read in other reviews, this is running rampant within the company and most people have obscure and meaningless titles of seniority. You'll very commonly have meetings with multiple VP's and Director-level employees only to find out that none of them hold decision-making power.

Combine this hierarchical mess with interdepartmental disorganization and you have a company focused on "growth" at the expense of anything resembling a meaningful or healthy work culture. Most teams regularly converse about the fact that Amazon is encroaching a takeover of Twitch because of just how damn messy things are getting here. It's getting so bad that we've lost several business relationships because of how slow our legal and finance teams are at getting contracts executed and payments submitted on time.

Advice to Management

Stop holding up decisions and encourage fast paced honest engagement between department team members. Take a serious look at the structure of your org and be willing to fire senior employees who have struggled to lead their teams effectively. Don't act like you are the sole gatekeepers of knowing where Twitch should or shouldn't go. You have brilliant employees but you're leaving them untapped and worn out by the sluggishness and interdepartmental conflict that appears to go unnoticed by your executive colleagues.

Feb 21, 2017

Thanks for the honest review. Would love to see if you're open to discussing further. I will definitely share your thoughts with the exec team and I'm sure they will discuss further as well . I would... More