Twitter - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, great product, casual atmosphere

Cons

I personally do not like being in the crowded city, but you may love it.

Advice to Management

improve HR process

Other Employee Reviews for Twitter

"The awesome location, smart people, and exciting work environment make Twitter the best job I have ever had."

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks are great (free beer on tap, free meals and snacks), the people are wonderful, and the work is exciting as heck.

I'm always happy to go into work, and happy to be at work. I'm surrounded by incredibly intelligent people, working on exciting technologies, solving interesting scaling problems that nobody else has dealt with, and learning new things every day.

Cons

HQ is located in a very sketchy neighborhood (Civic Center / Tenderloin), and I've often walked past heroin addicts shooting up on the sidewalk. There's plenty of homeless and desperately poor folks, but I'm not harassed by them. It's a little depressing, but Twitter makes a strong effort to encourage its employees to help out the locals in some small way.

There is a certain amount of growing pains at Twitter, and some of us newer folks often ask ourselves "why did this get implemented this way", but that's common at any startup. Some of us from the big companies (Google, Yahoo, Facebook) know there's better ways to accomplish the same task, but that's why they hired us.

There is also a certain amount of groupthink at Twitter, but I don't think that's any different from any large corporation.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to be humble and listen to your employees and you can't lose.

"A flurry of birds lost atop a San Francisco building"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time

Pros

Food is rather good
    The new space is appealing and very well decorated

Cons

Most of the interactions I had were with people that refused to give into the scalability idea. They consider newer employees with experience from other successful companies a threat and will not consider any recommendations. Company still has no idea how to monetize, but still continues to spend money left and right on hiring/acquiring talent with no long term plans.
    The overall vibe of the company is super SF hipster (which itself isn't a con) but when you couple that with a bunch of people that don't really know what they're doing, it spells disaster

Advice to Management

If you spend the time and money to hire people to make changes to the way things are run, listen to those changes.
    Think large scale even if that's not ever going to happen.
    And for the life of god revisit your hiring plans. You have way too many people for the amount of work that there is. The company is bloated, political and if not changed you will see good talent leave again and again and again.