Twitter - Full-time employee who chose Twitter over higher salaries and bigger names. No regrets. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Twitter

"Full-time employee who chose Twitter over higher salaries and bigger names. No regrets."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are friendly and open, and generally humble despite the high bar we set for hiring engineers. While at other companies I had often gotten the feeling that asking questions or going over to talk to another engineer was an unappreciated intrusion on their time, people at Twitter welcome questions and collaboration, and are happy to help each other; engineers who have been here several years treat newbies and interns with as much respect as they would another senior engineer. The message I got when I joined the company almost 2 years ago was to "never assume people within the company know best." This is a mindset I fully support and admire Twitter for having - it is so easy and can be so crippling to a company and to your own personal development to get boxed into thinking "we know best" and dismiss challenging viewpoints and ideas from the outside world. I could say plenty more pros on other aspects of the company, but this is by far one of the most motivating reasons I came to work at Twitter.

Cons

We have a chronic problem with email volume. Pretty much everyone at the company suffers from a flooded inbox. We try to fix this problem by making lists for different types of emails so only people who want the emails will get them. Great idea in theory, but the truth of it is that people don't get on the lists they need to get on, which means people posting to the right list don't get the message to the people they need to, resulting in them just resorting to posting on the main list again.

Other Employee Reviews for Twitter

1. "Twitter"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, great product, brilliant engineers, software releases frequent and often, company culture rocks, free food, personal showers, multiple gaming rooms, great terraces to relax and have lunch with fantastic views of San Francisco, open areas to collobarate, easy to commute to, and fun place to work!

Cons

Management is OK, but needs more training and development.

Advice to Management

Train internal managers more effectively.

2. "Great culture, focus on engineers, no pointy-haired bosses"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very open company, people are approachable and friendly. Good core values which are actually referenced in decision making. Company stands up for user's rights, no PRISM participation. Comp and benefits are great. Food! No, seriously - the catering is amazing.

Cons

Getting started as an engineer difficult. There are many internal tools and teams you've never heard of that aren't properly documented or easy to find. The onboarding is far too short leaving most of the actual training in the hands of your manager which ends up being luck of the draw.

Advice to Management

Need a greater focus on internal tools, training and developer productivity.