Twitter - Addenda to an earlier review | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Twitter

"Addenda to an earlier review"

Former Employee - SRE in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - SRE in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing to add from my previous comments, but this requires twenty words, so I need to add them.

Cons

Working in SRE has some serious issues. There is an embedded approach -- so one gets one's work assignments and performance assessments from an engineering organization, but promotion/compensation decisions are made by SRE management. It depends on how engaged the SRE management is with the SRE, and some SRE managers are extremely disengaged, or are willing to accept the word of the engineering manager. The engineering manager does not have any incentive to promote the work of the SRE, particularly when the work is a joint project with engineering. Similarly, engineering managers will be more focused on the work of their direct reports, and rightly so.

This makes the entire SRE employee review process capricious. Strong SREs are more readily lost through bad management, and SRE reviews (conducted entirely within SRE management structure) are more prone to second hand information and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Reverse this structure. If SREs are to be embedded, make their performance evaluations the responsibility of the engineering managers, and make the SRE management consultants to that process, providing expertise in SRE training and skills.

Other Employee Reviews for Twitter

"Innovative and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Innovative. I work with incredibly smart people and we are all driven to make the company awesome.

Cons

If you don't take advantage of the unlimited time off and work from home opportunities the fast paced work environment might get the best of you.

Advice to Management

Keep it focussed.

"Best place to work in the city"

Current Contractor - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, culture, manager, team-- work life is simple. Very supportive and have lot of co ordination.

They serve excellent food all the time .

Cons

People from south bay, its bad and long to travel