Tyco - It was very good place to work till the end of 2008. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tyco

"It was very good place to work till the end of 2008."

Pros

Many valuable trainings. Company strictly respects local labor law. No problem with salary and other payments. Overall honest to employee.

Cons

To many activities towards "Visual Factory" without thinking about balance between costs and benefits. All actions taken seemed to be only to make a mark on the checklist.

Advice to Management

Please do not think only about “Stars” or frequently check how your site managers understood this idea. Sometimes some people will try to get more stars without comparing costs and benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for Tyco

1. "Change is the only constant!"

Pros

Good diversity of people, products and business. Exposure to working within an industrial conglomerate. Opportunity to experience different kinds of projects and challenges.

Cons

Sometimes it feels too bureaucratic working in a corporate setting. Things tend to move slowly sometimes because of buy-in required by many parties.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for people to move between organizations more easily - diverse experience will help the company. Company is too top-heavy. You don't need so many VPs.

2. "Tough times but good hard work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros

I enjoyed my time as a software engineer at AD on the whole, I did a lot of maintenance work in C++ which was technically challenging but good hard graft when you got into it. They were good products and good customers too. The best part was certainly the management - Tyco some yars ago went through a financial scandal so as a result, integrity and openness was a core value that led to management laying things on the line with their staff, good or bad. I had a ton of respect for the director of operations. He was there for about 3 years before he went back to Lexington and was one of the best leaders I've ever had. The firm is now developing more cutting edge stuff under Linux rather than MFC now and is keeping itself in the market. The new building in Belfast is also great, a nice open plan purpose built setup on Airport Road West. Nice for walks and handy for Sainsbury's.

Cons

We went through some bad times and we only found out we were to take two week long furloughs by reading a senior VP's blog. That VP didn't find himself in his job long after that though. I also felt I was given the leftover work from time to time, after I was assigned to a job that a team lead thought I had experience in, when in reality I had zero. There was also one famous occasion when I had to recreate a feature based on a demo version of a piece of software that no-one had any code or documentation for as it was stuck on a salesman's laptop. The relentless testing was a downside too, a result of not enough validation of requirements IMO, but when a firm is 6 sigma certified, this has to apply across the board, even to software.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you were very good and deserve to keep up the strong position you've got yourselves back into.