Tyler Technologies - Great Place to Work | Glassdoor

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yarmouth, ME
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yarmouth, ME

Pros

Freedom to perform job, as long as I accomplish goals-no micromanagement. Management allows me to balance work with family responsibilities. Excellent benefits, good 401K match, employee stock purchase plan, excellent vacation plan, allows home office/telecommuting, challenging and rewarding work experience.

Cons

They only real con is the amount of travel involved but then again I would rather travel than be stuck in a cubicle with a micromanaging manger looking over my shoulder. The company does a good job helping employees balance travel with home life.

Advice to Management

Keep up the recent strides in employee recognition and appreciation. A daycare center would be a nice addition to the corporate campus allowing parents can be closer to their children during the work week.

Other Employee Reviews for Tyler Technologies

"Initially interesting and exciting, but the relentless pace pushes you to burn out"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Plano, TX

Pros

Laid back office environment; casual dress, small tight-knit community feel, free beverages.
    Frequent communication regarding overall Division progress (quarterly).
    Many team and division events to build community within the office.
    Industry Leader

Cons

Large (growing) company still trying to work as a small company. While we are an industry leader, we don't function like one. Tyler is likely to fall victim to all of the reasons we were able to undercut and prevail over the previous industry leaders. A lot of middle to middle/upper management seem to be in their position due to right place/right time and not due to skills. Not always the best mentorship or leadership.

A lot of talk and not a lot of delivery.

Trying to accomplish as much as possible with as little resources as possible, taxing those resources to their fullest until they leave or change positions for hopes of a change.

The overall concern within the Professional Services Department is about churning out projects, billing hours and recognizing revenue over employee well-being or job satisfaction.

Compensation plan in Implementation is longevity based, not skill or performance based. This has been in the process of being changed for 3 years and we routinely hear that it WILL be changed on a given date, only to have that date come and go with nothing. Not even an explanation as to why, it just doesn't happen.

Internal communication within the department is limited.

There is an annual bonus incentive in Implementation that is based on billable hours worked, yet as an individual specialist in Implementation, you have little to no control over whether the hours you work are billable. Many are routinely denied this bonus due to factors entirely beyond their control, yet this bonus is sold to you as an applicant for what this position can seemingly achieve (you really can't expect to get it).

There is a high turnover rate in Implementation due to the practices and high-travel. The travel was supposed to be ~70%, which is already intense, but manageable. However it has become nearly 90%+ with little sign of slowing. Frequent complaints of burnout seem to fall on deaf ears.
    Pay is not enough, including incentive compensation, for the sacrifices this position demands. You are often expected to travel on a moments notice (though this is improving), work nearly 60+hours weekly, meet often loosely defined expectations with clients leading you to have to research and learn just to do a task you could not have been prepared for, perform the role of QA, BA, trainer, consultant and PM in one.

The Implementation Specialist is a highly undervalued asset at the Plano Division. Overworked, under payed, under appreciated, you are ultimately treated as an expendable commodity and the feeling is that Tyler will get what they need out of you until you are out of anything to give.

This is only referring to the Plano Division. This may not be true of other departments, but is largely true in Professional Services (see reviews by Project Managers as well!) and most definitely true of Implementation.

There is also inner departmental politics and a lack of professionalism from management (in all departments) as you feel uncomfortable speaking the truth due poorly handled criticism.

It's all an enormous shame because the Plano Office has so much potential.

Advice to Management

Value your people over billable work! If our projects don't have enough funding to do the job right without extreme overwork on Implementation's behalf, then sell them for more money. If our clients can't afford our services, then perhaps we aren't the company for them. If you have to sell it for less, don't punish your people for these decisions since I doubt the executives that approve these decisions take as much a cut as we do! We waste so much money in rework and free work rather than pay for quality employees to get it right. It takes a year minimum for an Implementation Specialist to be skilled enough to really add value, yet most seem to leave within 3 years. New blood are often thrown in the deep-end and more experienced Specialists are called in to rework (often for non-billable hours and therefore less compensation and a missed shot at that elusive bonus). If you just payed more money, eased back the travel, and really listened to what we had to say regarding our satisfaction and ways to improve, you could retain knowledgeable and experienced talent that would improve client satisfaction and company performance. Sales routinely undersells projects and that lack of funding and hours falls on the shoulders of EVERYONE ELSE to carry.

We have (overall) a great product in an industry leading position. However, internally we seem to just fumble about without a great deal of precision or planning. Unless we truly change as an organization to improve job satisfaction and company morale, improve client relations (support has improved to my understanding, but many other aspects of the client experience could be improved), and really work to innovate and think outside the box, we will succumb to the same fate as our previous competitors that were the industry leaders. We constantly ask our clients to accept change and work to improve their efficiency and embrace this, yet we often don't seem capable of taking our own advice.

"Frustrating....."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Working with an industry leader. Nice people.

Cons

Very harsh environment for project managers. If you know how a project should be managed, this is not the place for you. Most of the senior management team has no project management background. It reflects in the decisions that are made. PM turn over rate is EXTREMLY high.

Advice to Management

If you are serious about running projects using industry standards, hire the proper managers and let them do their jobs. Otherwise you will always have high turn over.