U-Haul - Not the best, but it's a job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for U-Haul

"Not the best, but it's a job."

Current Employee - Keyholder in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Keyholder in Dallas, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There is great job security there.
-Room to move up in company pretty likely
-Very flexible with scheduling (important because i'm a full time student)
-Some employees are passionate about being there and they offer good advice

Cons

-Pay is not the best, but it's a pain in the rear to get a raise (worked very hard compared to the average CSR, NEVER showed up late, ALWAYS came in on time, promised a raise twice before, finally got it after 18 months).
-Communication is VERY VERY poor. Rules and protocol changes alot with no mention of it from management, so you are kinda left there in the dark.
-No breaks whatsoever, even on the weekdays. Really?!?!
-As a keyholder (opener/closer: one step below management), I am the punching bag for the management and the MCO. Basically, when there is no manager there, I have to take over. Here is the thing: I cannot properly manage the place. In the system, there are ALOT of things I cannot do, and that require management's approval for even the simplest things, so I have to constantly make phone calls, which makes me look like an idiot in front of co-workers and customers. Co-workers pretty much do whatever they want because I am not a manager. Being only 20 years old doesn't help the situation either. I was not given a raise to become a keyholder, which is complete bull if you ask me. And then, at the end of the night, when my co-workers do not properly close, I get yelled at the next day by management. When I tell the co-workers about it, they shrug it off because I am not a manager. I tell my boss, and he says "If they don't want to do it, then do it yourself". Like I said: PUNCHING BAG.

Advice to Management

If you want to promote someone, TRULY promote them. (stated above). Breaks should be given out, not asked for. There is nothing wrong with starting out around $8/hr. However, give your good employees raises once and a while, and maybe that will show them that they are actually a part of the team. Schedule meetings with management and employees more often in order to increase communication about the new changes.

Other Employee Reviews for U-Haul

"it was a short experience,start at the bottom for management postition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

there is steady work here

Cons

there is not a good work home life balance

Advice to Management

treat employees fair

"Over worked and under paid!!"

Former Employee - Area Field Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Area Field Manager in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Meeting new people and great co-workers.

Cons

Upper management thinks they know it all. All they do is look at reports that analyst sends to them and they think they know the market as well as the people in the field.

Advice to Management

We the people in the field pays your salary.