U-Haul - Low pay, high expectations, flexible hours | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for U-Haul

"Low pay, high expectations, flexible hours"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pomona, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pomona, CA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling, management respects you, welcoming environment to work in, and I've learned a lot from working at U-Haul. Now that I've finally earned my Bachelor's degree its time to move on.

Cons

High stress with relatively low pay compared to what's expected of you, basically everyone is hired as part-time, work weekends and holidays with no holiday pay. I earned $10.50 per hour busting my butt and running the entire center. Sometimes I worked 40-50 hours per week but since I'm technically "part-time" I don't get the benefits of full-time employees (paid holidays, sick and vacation pay)

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap. We work hard and deserve full time positions

Other Employee Reviews for U-Haul

1. "Great Until You Get Promoted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and work atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of Training. It is assumed that if you do well in one position you will do well in another, but they will not train when you go into the next position. You're set up for failure.
     Upper management will not listen. When there's an issue, they do not get both sides of a story. They will automaticly take a manager's side.

Advice to Management

Train people when you promote them into a new position, especially if they were considered "a valuable employee" in their old position, and the new position is in a totally different area. They were valuable because they knew the job and will continue to be valuable when you train them in their new position.

2. "A decent minmum wage job for someone looking to get work while working on other plans."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corvallis, OR

I worked at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly relaxed environment with other employees and pretty low stress duties. Most people you deal with on a daily basis are reasonable and the hours were quite flexible.

Cons

Most facilities are very understaffed and thus there will be times when you are overwhelmed by the number of customers and simply unable to keep up.
    Moving can be a very stressful time in people's lives.

Advice to Management

Left due to problems with interpersonal relations amongst staff. Improve camaraderie between the people who work under you and with them.