U-Haul - I like it! | Glassdoor

"I like it!"

I have been working at U-Haul part-time

Pros

I started working for U-Haul in January 2013, I was originally supposed to do sales, but the day I finalized all my paperwork I was called by my recruiter and he offered me a job in Roadside Assistance. Which was more money which is nice. I started out at making $10 an hour. I still make that, but its better than minimum wage. for the first 90 days you cant change your schedule you are stuck with what you picked in the very beginning. since I've started I think I've changed my schedule three times and its always been approved. depending on how many hours you work, you can get a 15 minute break. if you work 7 hours you get a lunch break which is 30 minutes along with getting breaks. I love working from home. some of the other reviews say that part time doesn't get benefits but you do. my manager is amazing, not just my manager every manager, senior manager and escalation member is just amazing. My manager just submitted a request for me to be a full time employee so I'm really happy about that

Cons

the hours a week you get ranges it would 15 or 40, it really just depends on the week. sometimes it is hard to help out a customer when they are mad or impatient.

Other Employee Reviews for U-Haul

1. "Customer service rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and they train you on anything you need to know such as hitches, trailers, etc.

Cons

My center is ridiculously understaffed. Lazy employees stand around and play on their phones constantly and are not reprimanded or fired b/c we need people even if they are awful. I keep getting added responsibilities but no increase in pay even with constant praise from management and customers of how well I'm doing. The call center does not know what they are doing and they mess up reservations constantly and have on several occasions lied to customers (saying that we have something that a customer lost like a wallet in the lost and found when they are not at the center and did not confer with any CSR who is at the center and would know). The computers are painfully slow and the contract process is too complicated. There are also numerous IT problems that never get fixed. The company is also extremely anti-union to the degree that it makes me extremely uncomfortable (despite me not having any intention of joining a union).

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a decent wage for all the work they are doing, provide some kind of respite from the 100 degree Texas summers and ice and snow in the winter, give us breaks during our shift.

"My experience working at U-Haul has been nothing less than fantastic. From the very get go I've had no problems."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

From day one I've had sufficient training and made sure I took all the certification classes to ensure that I would be well educated on procedures and expectations for my career working with U-Haul.

Cons

One of the few complaints I have is the very low start pay. It's above minimum but realistically no where near where anyone could live off of it.

Advice to Management

Only advice I would offer is to try and push for a pay increase for your new employees to promote a desirable work environment and to attract the right employees.