U.S. Army War College - A meaningful, hands on and individually driven experiene. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Army War College

"A meaningful, hands on and individually driven experiene."

Former Intern - Research Intern in Carlisle Barracks, PA
Former Intern - Research Intern in Carlisle Barracks, PA

I worked at U.S. Army War College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally encouraging environment. Meaningful research opportunities. Great on site amenities like a gym. Opportunities to meet a variety of international staff and a wide range of career people.

Cons

A large staff usually leads to feeling "in the way". Takes some time to get the civ-mil relationship in hand. Several times the work may not progress in a meaningful way due to diminishing resources.

Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Army War College

1. "Not IT"

Current Employee - Computer Clerk in Carlisle Barracks, PA
    Current Employee - Computer Clerk in Carlisle Barracks, PA

Pros

Great Pay:
    GS-5 to GS-9 or 35,000 to 50,000+ is good for what the type of work is, Basically you get paid well because this job requires a Top Secret security clearance. Most times I am not sure why we need a Top Secret. It almost seems like overkill. I came in thinking it was an IT job and a stepping stone in an IT career. I was wrong. This is probably 90% not IT and 10% low level IT desktop support. All you will ever do is set up portable desktop computers for the different conferences or classes that CSL supports. That means carrying 40ib computers and setting them on tables, hooking up power, ethernet cables, tying up cables, taping down cables to floor, starting a network ready image process, logging them and maybe a few more menial tasks to get them ready for the conference or class.
    Benefits:
    This has to be the best vacation and sick time allotment anywhere. As a veteran I get almost 20 days a year vacation or 6 hours every two weeks, and everyone gets 13 sick days a year or 4 hours every two weeks.

Cons

- Your going to waste your time not learning much about IT.
    - You may not even get promoted to another grade or another position on post because no one leaves.
    - You WILL work with people who don't care, and don't like their job
    - You WILL work with people that outrank you that know nothing about IT

Advice to Management

Times have changed, IT people that work in the field or desktop support rarely wear business casual anymore. We work on the floor, we run around, we break our backs moving equipment around, we sweat while being strangled all day by a style invented to be worn by business men back in the old days.

2. "It's not the War College..."

Current Employee - Police Officer in Fort Sill, OK
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Fort Sill, OK

Pros

Flexible Hours, Interesting job, Good start for Law Enforcement career

Cons

Promotions are based on whether you retired from the military, at Ft Sill or not.

Advice to Management

Law Enforcement Incentive pay