U.S. Bank - Great experience, but nothing to make a career out of | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Bank

"Great experience, but nothing to make a career out of"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Universal Banker in Des Moines, IA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn great lending practices for your future

Cons

Do not do your own underwriting, so deals are lost due to centralized underwriting.

Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Bank

1. "It was a great job with great experience."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Good team work, fun job, and plenty of positions to get into and learn the mortgage business.

Cons

Compensation and upper management leadership is not very good and has a lot of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to your employees and please don't get on employees that are working very hard to meet deadlines for you.

"Company is solid as a whole, leadership is not"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the pros include: ability to be promoted, it's a job in this economic situation, you can learn a lot about banking, you meet some great co workers that end up being good life long friends.

Cons

After working for US Bank I left due to quite a few factors. One being that the pay was too low for what they were asking of me. Getting paid in the low 40's (this is considered on the higher end of what managers get paid) as a manager to work 55+ hours and work 6 days a week is very unfair and is one of the reasons why there is so much turnover. I also was unhappy with district leadership, there was blatant favoritism and mistreatment to those who are not favored. There is no work life balance, and the district management actually laughs about people being upset about not having a work life balance. You need to sacrifice more than it is worth to do everything that is expected, and in the end it's not worth it for the paycheck. They emphasize leadership and how important it is for good leadership, but they basically crap on their "leaders" and micromanage them to death. The weather in Seattle is depressing enough why be in a job that's even more depressing?

Advice to Management

Some advice would be to appreciate your employees. And what I mean is be consistent, don't just be nice to them when it's around the talk to us survey time. Also, Stop having so many conference calls about what the leaders need to do and give them the trust to let them go do their jobs. If they're not performing then address it. Treat your employees with respect. There's a reason why everyone is going to Key Bank or Chase, your management style is not effective. Also, lets try and pay people more, US Bank is the lowest paying bank, another reason why people leave. I would never suggest to anyone that I care about to go work at US Bank and there's a reason. Please realize there's a reason why there's so much turnover, it's not because they're "horrible employees" it's because they want the pay and respect they deserve. Because what does that have to say about you if you keep hiring "horrible employees" that translates into you being a horrible employee which I know as a "leader" you will never own up to.