U.S. Bank - The good and the bad | Glassdoor

"The good and the bad"

Current Employee - In-Store Banker
Current Employee - In-Store Banker

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a strong company with many perks. US bank does amazing training, coaching, and listens to the employees. They are always trying to improve and be better. The customers are wonderful, and it can be a fun job with fun campaigns. The district management and ops specialists are also very pleasant and helpful and believe strongly in teamwork. Its a fun job with lots of opportunities to be promoted, etc,.

Cons

In my particular branch, the nicest way to put it is my managers are tyrants. Before I started they had a very high turnover and lost over 4 employees in 6 months. Im new to banking, and my manager is very unhelpful. She personally belittles employees, huffs and puffs when you need an approval or assistance, she tries to pry into our personal business, and she gets overly upset when sales goals arent met and throws around the fact we take her bonuses away. The bank can be very busy in the in-store enviornment. It becomes overwhelming doing teller transactions, offering products and doing the loans. It is the ultimate multi-tasking job, and its particularly harder for me because the management sits at their desk all day and doesnt want to help you or the customers. From what i've heard in other instore branches, the management style is similar and you are expected to sell sell sell and be nothing short of a slave. I also feel operations are constantly changing and it feels hard to keep up with, since the smallest of mistakes can get you fired. Its also a bank open 7 days a week and open til 7 PM during the week.

Advice to Management

I understand fully how the bank makes money, through loans, credit cards, etc,. But I feel its inappropriate to relate sales with punishment when you are still trying. It cant be helped when someone has bad credit, and most of our clientelle doesnt need a car/home loan nearly everyday. Be kinder and more helpful to the bankers and customers.

Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Bank

1. "Alot of opportunities"

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

The branch that I work at my manager does a great job trying to make up for all the failed branches in the company.
    The overall mission statement of the company is great and they are trying to improve customer service
    The best pro for this business is it is a great starting point and career opportunity for future career needs
    alot of opportunity for advancement since the turn over is so high.

Cons

The training in this company is pathetic, you will ask how something is done be told one thing then it will be done wrong when you do what you are told and then instead of being trained be told to look it up on the ops manual which is huge.
    The apperication for the employees in my district is missing alot consistantly are quiting one just quit after five years
    lack of training, there are atleast three branches in the district that are managerless and no one is training to fix that. The training for new bankers is to sit infront of a computer for hours then be thrown on the line and hopefully you will get it.
    You get three inconsistant weeks of training out of the branch where you will be told contridictions to what really happens in the branch
    Alot of empty job threats of termenating on the spot with no warning even if you follow what you were told to do.
    lack of job security due to increase inconsistacy in expectation, training, and regulations.

Advice to Management

Training and follow through and consistancy. There shouldnt be branches without managers and more consistant training. This company pays the least to their bankers expects the most and provides the lease amount of training

2. "Supportive, challenging with many opportunities to develop and advance"

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Supportive co-workers and managers
    -Good benefits
    -Excellent company values

Cons

-Somewhat longer commute
    -Generally fairly busy branch