U.S. Bank - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Vice President in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Vice President in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employer. Treats all employees like family. Great opportunities

Cons

None. Able to discuss and resolve issues with management.

Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Bank

1. "Conservative nature is great for customers, not so great for employees"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a large company, so even if the job you seek isn't available in your office, it might be available in another building. The upper management does make an effort to visit at least once a year.

Cons

The company is very cheap, so many requests get rejected. I couldn't even get my own post-it notes. I had to take them from a desk of someone after they left the company. It feels every decision made is out of fear of being sued later down the line.

2. "Good company to work for, but still have a long way to go."

Current Employee - Mainframe Developer in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Mainframe Developer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on what location you're in, there are many opportunities for advancement. The bank has a mainframe developer training program to replace retiring mainframe developers which is phenomenal. Teamwork and collaboration are encouraged. Management places a huge emphasis on ethics. The CEO Richard Davis appears to genuinely care about his employees.

Cons

Some corporate locations aren't in public-transit-friendly areas. There tends to be lots of bureaucracy in both of processes and top-heavy management structure, especially in technology - all in the name of buzz words of "strategic alignment" and "best practices". I agree with the bank's "pay for performance" stance, but increases generally don't keep up with inflation. Although I realize this is a bank, many professional divisions are Monday-Friday day shift only which for me does not allow for an optimal work-life balance.

In the technology area, management recently instituted 5% pay cuts across the board because they were "not meeting revenue goals"; which, in my mind, is a poor excuse to cut pay. Although I have been with the bank almost 13 years, I have started looking for another position outside of the bank solely based on that.

Advice to Management

Continue working on pay. Cut down on the levels of management. Think of other ways to allow the professional-level employees to achieve a better work-life balance, such as allowing employees to work evenings/nights/weekends.