U.S. Cellular - Accountant - Staff | Glassdoor

"Accountant - Staff"

Current Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides good benefits.

Cons

Accounting is working long hours and workload is growing.

Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Cellular

1. "Absolute Best Company I Have Worked With!"

Former Employee - Retail Store Leader in Portage, IN
    Former Employee - Retail Store Leader in Portage, IN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible dedication to ethics, competitive salary, Great work-life balance, wonderful mentors and dedication to development. I learned more and received better coaching than at any other employer I've worked with.

Cons

Since it's not a national carrier, the opportunities are limited to areas where they already operate. I had to relocate out of state and they don't have stores where I am, or I never would have left.

Advice to Management

Open stores in Arizona and I'll be there!

"Okay place to work if you like inconsistency and micromanagement"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros are culture that tries to be a better place to work and culture is The Dynamic Organization. The DO as it's called, is what is said to be the driving force and model for company interactions, and for the most part, it's a positive place due to good benefits, clean and well managed facility, intentions of being a customer focused company and empowering employees to do what is necessary to assure good relationship with customers. Attempts to stay in line with the ideals of Jack Rooney, and maintain high levels of empowerment and respect. Works to maintain high level of employee engagement with culture surveys, feedback, etc.

Cons

In actuality, you're asked constantly to engage in lots and lots of coversations about your personal life , feelings, constantly provide feedback to superiors who may or may not really want honest feedback. Very fanatical about using company jargon and communication is almost like learning another language. Conversations during development sessions are stilted due to necessity of using the jargon instead of communicating normally about the same subject. The company policy changes constantly and many times the management even admit to not really knowing what is required and actions and requirements are often reversed after multiple disputes from employees. Feedback about products that are obviously problematic is take poorly and often rejected as not being supportive of the DO. Managment often disagrees from one to the other as to what specific policys and practices actually mean or consist of. Frequent changes of leadership means being coached by many different individuals and adjusting repeatedly to new persons version of the job requirements. One telling thing to me was that after Mary Dillon took over, almost anyone who had been in the top management for any time left and was replaced. The company changed greatly and is not what it used to be.

Advice to Management

One of the main things that is touted in the DO is not to motivate with fear but that is very often exactly how employees are motivated, by being advised that feedback or independant ideas aren't supportive of company goals and perhaps this isn't "your passion". Be truly supportive of employees goals and strengths and see that coaches are developing them and not according the their own agendas or by who sits in the smoke hole with them the most.