UBS - analyst | Glassdoor

"analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at UBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can learn a lot from your peers and boss

Cons

too many meetings with different people

Advice to Management

nothing, overall is great

Other Employee Reviews for UBS

"A true love hate relationship with UBS"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Weehawken, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Weehawken, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology of this bank is outdated, between the 1990's to 2000's, and the bank is far from perfect (what company is?), however instead of looking at this from a negative point of view, I saw the positive side of it. The nature of my position and the lack of resources available allowed me to utilize my creativity to the max, which also helped me improve my computer programming and communication skills greatly. The people were nice, mostly open to suggestions, and seemed to appreciate my work for the departments.

Of course, the nature of my position was made possible by my boss who was fortunately very open minded. He let me do my job independently with minimal supervision. If I have had anything less, my viewpoints would have been very different and my creativity would have been limited.

In my particular department, there was downsizing and this occurs everywhere in every company at some point or another. Thus, I can't put this as a con since this is a part of life and business restructure. Again, I looked at the downsizing as an opportunity for myself and utilized my creativity to the max to help offset the lack of resources through innovation. This is a pro because the company let me be creative, listened to my suggestions, let me execute my decisions, and overall had been very accommodating. I know a lot of people complain about the technology there (and so did I my first few months), but there are some things we can't control. I learned to focus on what I could control, and turned the negatives into major opportunities.

Cons

There are definitely cons to working at UBS. Unfortunately because of these cons, this fact had pushed me into looking for new employment about 1.5 years into the company. I am not one to criticize management or to give my personal opinion about how they should act, mainly because I do not have the full story. But I will say this:

Although the lack of resources as I mentioned above allowed me to be creative and work smarter, the lack of resources also affected my personal growth at the company. I had expected to have a small team working for me by the end of the 2nd year, and I still had no support. Think about it, if you are the only maintenance and support technician on site, what happens? You can't leave your position, ever. There would be no way for me to personally grow at this company since any promotion would indicate I would no longer be available to support my original duties.

The lack of any salary increases also was off-putting. Most people will say "but no one got a raise", or "you haven't been at the company that long" but we shouldn't think that way. Everyone is different and has different achievements and time frames. Why should I have to be at any company for even 5 years to see a promotion if my work is truly valued? I only look at my own achievements, and if the company is not giving promotions or salary increases throughout the department despite individual contributions, there really isn't much one can do but to either take it, or move on.

Advice to Management

Time to be creative, think outside of the box, and don't just follow what others do because it is the safest and easiest way. Take chances, do things differently, push back when you have to, and see what great things can happen. The worst thing that can happen? No one listens to you. The best thing that can happen? You are viewed as a leader and others will follow suit. The transformation will be slow, but can happen with the right attitude!

"Experience is what you make it."

Current Employee - Senior Registered Client Service Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Registered Client Service Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at UBS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Established company. Offer 401k match up to $3,000 plus company portion contribution. The company portion is a percent of your salary. Percent goes up with length of time, ex: 5 years with UBS gets you 1.5% of your salary, Employee share purchase program, 1 share for every 3 shares you purchase, vests after 3 years. 12 weeks family leave after birth of child. Average 3 weeks vacation.

Cons

Low base salaries for support staff. Large corporate structure. Support staff has to put in hours worked every two weeks. No salary increases for a couple of years. Difficult to get upgraded on titles. Higher titles are given to new people coming in from outside. No overtime pay. No recognition for different individual characteristics of employees with same title as others.

Advice to Management

I higher level of happiness among your employees can improve the performance of your company.