UC Davis - UC Davis Civil and environmental engineering master's program | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UC Davis

"UC Davis Civil and environmental engineering master's program"

Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Davis, CA
Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Davis, CA

I worked at UC Davis as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Highly competetive. Great research programs. I changed my research area three times before I settled for the researched that was interesting to me.

Cons

A minimum of 3.0 GPA is required. I got two 2.9 GPAs and was place on probation and was sent a letter explaining if it happens again I'll be kicked out of the programwnsides of working at UC Davis.

Other Employee Reviews for UC Davis

1. "challenging grad school experience"

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Sacramento, CA

I worked at UC Davis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

UC Davis is big enough to have a variety of laboratories in which you can work and study. Funding varies by P.I. Some amazing people and brilliant scientists live and work in Davis. It can be a great community to grow in.

Cons

Naive graduate students, beware. Like anywhere else, there are great P.I.s and there are terrible ones. Interactions with your boss should be respectful, of course, but don't defer to him/her without question. Especially those who are new to their role. Look at the quality of their publications. Find labs with a consistent and timely graduation rate for their students. Just because a P.I. tells you he has funding, does not mean it is true. Do what you can to get your own funding, and cross check what the P.I. tells you with his staff and other members of the department and graduate group.

Advice to Management

Never grant tenure to professors who have not yet graduated any students. Implement some form of tracking system to ensure the progress of their graduate students. When students complain, they are often ignored because the professor is automatically given the benefit of the doubt. Establish a means of logging complaints that can be tracked within all graduate groups to prevent future students from rotating or joining problematic labs.

2. "I'm a student."

Current Employee - Ungraded Student in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Ungraded Student in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very nice.

Cons

There are lots of competition.

Advice to Management

N/a