UC San Diego - Great location, great faculty, great scientific community | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

"Great location, great faculty, great scientific community"

Current Employee - PhD Student in La Jolla, CA
Current Employee - PhD Student in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great research community (Scripps, Burnham, and Salk Institutes all nearby)
Many job opportunities in surrounding area
Great reputation in physical sciences
Beautiful location (views of pacific ocean from some points)

Cons

Terrible parking situation (~$81/month; more cars than spaces available; $60 fines; essentially no choice but to use public transportation if living off campus)

Disorganized infrastructure (campus maps are complicated and unclear; building names and markers are hard to find)

Advice to Management

Should try to find ways to improve department cohesiveness as many labs are isolated and independent. More care should be given to recruitment and interview process for incoming students; people coming here often get a vibe of indifference from the way itineraries and events are planned.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego

1. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in La Jolla, CA

Pros

The benefits are great (medical, dental, retirement)
    La Jolla is beautiful (but expensive)
    Academia atmosphere - not too many pretentious people; co-workers have great camaraderie
    Groundbreaking research being done
    Great pride in working at such a world renowned institution

Cons

It may depend on which department you work for. I am with the ADCS (Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study) and for the most part, the work is very rewarding. What is lacking is great leadership and management skills amongst the upper level management (directors, etc. - there is a lot of "micromanaging"). Additionally, communication and training needs improvement. There is no structure and is a "learn as you go" environment which can be overwhelming with the amount of information you're "required" to know in this field. Sadly, there is a sense of nepotism within the small selective groups. Rumors of employees being treated unfairly in regards to promotions and merits. The once a month payday is also a big adjustment for some. Too much time being spent on meetings, which can slow down productivity. Lastly, the use of technology (MAC system vs. PC) might not be a transferable skill when going elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Invest in leadership and management training for yourselves. Invest in your valuable employees who know more than you think, especially those who came from the industry. Use this to your advantage in strengthening your organization by integrating new and refreshing processes instead of being stuck in your bubble, thinking that what you're doing is the only way or worse, the right way.

"One horrible manager can ruin your entire experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Pros

There are a lot of resources and benefits. Most people had less uptight bosses so their experiences are better than mine. There are a lot of nice people working there.

Cons

Parking is expensive, insufficient for demand, and far from where you want to go. Once you find a space, you can't move it or you'll never park again, so you have to walk everywhere anyway. If you're stuck with a mean, vindictive, uptight boss as I was, your life can be hell. A lot of people have no industry experience other than working for the university so they don't know industry terminology and procedures or just how the real world operates. If you think you'll be able to take free or cheap classes there, think again. They do everything they can to prevent people from using their educational benefits.

Advice to Management

They must think complaints just come from disgruntled workers, but some of us have legitimate complaints. My boss monitored and critiqued everything I said to anyone, to the point where I was afraid to speak at all, and even dictated what I could and couldn't do on my lunch hour. Every year we fill out surveys about our jobs but nothing ever happens and they only tell us the results when they're positive.