UC San Diego - Ultimately bad | Glassdoor

"Ultimately bad"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, the stability of your job along with a relatively low pressure environment is nice at the time. Being at a university is, if not anything else, intellectually stimulating. The flexibility was nice as well.

Cons

After putting in over 14 years at UC San Diego, my project was no longer funded and all the connections I had made in my time there turned away from me. Years and years of salary freezes, helping people for no benefit, working for the greater good all for naught. NEVER depend on this organization looking out for your career goals if you are non-faculty. It is not in their best interest.

Advice to Management

Show some freaking loyalty.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego

1. "CSE Research at UCSD gives one the opportunity to be in close contact with both the academia and industry."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting projects, opportunity for good collaborations. Great location and great people to work with. And quite importantly, flexible hours. Huge amount of activities when outside the office.

Cons

The first research project one picks is usually not a process done with great care, and at times projects may not overlap with the expertise of the student, which may consume an unwanted long time.

2. "Difficult to find paid research positions/compensation for the work you're interested in."

Former Intern - Intern in La Jolla, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You're on campus, so you don't have to worry about travelling off campus (Depending on your work-- certain types of research may require you have a car to access off-campus sites).

Cons

Limited HR for the work I was involved in, a lot of in-hiring (i.e. claiming they don't favor current employees for higher-up positions, but these are the only people who are ever hired up). If you don't attend the university and work here part time, the commute to La Jolla is tedious.

Advice to Management

Make it possible for student workers to negotiate for raises and open up paid research opportunities for students instead of having them "volunteer" in labs.