UC San Francisco - Great opportunities | Glassdoor

"Great opportunities"

Former Intern - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA
Former Intern - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work closely with top notch investigators and clinicians in their field. My boss was very helpful in promoting my professional development and pushing me to do my very best. It was a lot of work and I often sacrificed my work-life balance, but I think it was worthwhile.

Cons

You can be overworked and need to really set limits to establish some semblance of a work-life balance.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco

1. "Good place to build skills/abilities, but not salary"

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

Freedom in research abilities is probably the best part of this job. Also, you build research skills.

Cons

Limited salary growth is really the worse part of this job. Salary growth comes slowly, but this is more of due to the research funding situation.

Advice to Management

NA

2. "UCSF a mixed bag"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UCSF positions are well paid compared to similar jobs on other UC campuses. The benefits are quite good. As the largest employer in San Francisco after the city itself it has lots of opportunities for lateral and career moves. There are a lot of wonderful people working there.

Cons

UCSF wants to act towards its employees like a poor public university sometimes and a hard-nosed corporation at others, whichever best suits it. They have no qualms about asking employees to donate to UCSF, but they excuse by saying they are a public university the fact that they don't offer employee gift matching, time off for community service, etc. They cut back on staff and only gave 1 pay increase in 5 years, from 2008-2013, to non-represented staff, during a time of massive increases in the cost of living in San Francisco. Managers are frequently doctors or researchers who are terrible managers and there is no real system to correct the problems that produces.

Advice to Management

Doctors and researchers in direct supervision roles should be subject to 360-degree evaluation, and there should always be an administrator as a equal voice in all employee evaluations. UCSF boosts of its excellence and its services in ads all over town, while not granting cost of living increases to staff and paying its executives some of the best salaries in the country for comparable positions. That's not right. UCSF needs to take more seriously the responsibilities that come with being the biggest employer and biggest landowner in San Francisco; employee donations to public schools and local service nonprofits should be matched.