UC San Francisco - Learned a lot, and have great memories, but many things could have been much smoother with the appropriate support | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

"Learned a lot, and have great memories, but many things could have been much smoother with the appropriate support"

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a tremendous amount of talent at this institution, as well as a diverse array of resources.

Cons

UCSF is a public institution, and appears to always be riding the ragged edge financially. One consequence of this is considerable consolidation/turnover of the administrative staff in recent years, which can make it really hard to get things done effectively. Also, student health benefits are quite paltry.

Advice to Management

Put some pressure on the administrative staff to get things done quickly and efficiently.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco

"Enlightening and interesting place to work"

Former Employee - Several in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Several in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I"ve worked in several departments at UCSF. All in all I was treated well and encouraged by each of the managers for whom I worked.

Cons

The "cons" were typical of working as an admin in almost any environment...the inherent conflicts between worker bees and managers..lack of adequate salary increases and the like.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more emphasis on hiring admin staff with true education. It gaules me to see people with any post secondary education rise from secretarial type positions to division level management positions.

"Great opportunities"

Former Intern - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work closely with top notch investigators and clinicians in their field. My boss was very helpful in promoting my professional development and pushing me to do my very best. It was a lot of work and I often sacrificed my work-life balance, but I think it was worthwhile.

Cons

You can be overworked and need to really set limits to establish some semblance of a work-life balance.