UC San Francisco - Good place | Glassdoor

"Good place"

Former Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff environment and good employee get togethers even for part timers.

Cons

Working part time gets no benefits and they keep you part time as to save money for the company. just know that besides the great people you work with you are also working for a corporation that exploits human labor.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco

1. "Depending on your goals this could be a great place to work or a terrible place."

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about UCSF is how fascinating the research being done here is. I work everyday and I am impressed by all the things that I do and all the things that are going on around me. The people around me are very interesting people with vibrant personalities that are from all over the world.

Additionally the employment is very stable. In most positions, after 5 years, you can become "vested" and you are pretty much guaranteed a job for life. I have not experience furloughs or cuts in benefits despite the rough economic times.

Cons

The worst part about UCSF is that high pressure situations often occur due to problematic bosses. Often time PI's push their employees to do more work than can be done within a reasonable work day and people are often forced to stay more than 16 hours without being paid more (even though they are supposed to be).

Additionally the unions seem to be working against the employees in the following three ways: (1) there is no incentive to perform exceptionally (doing the bare minimum is insisted and enforced), (2) there is a minimal and slow upward mobility that encourages very few to stay, and (3) to seniority is valued more than ability.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more accountability for the way PIs treat their employees. They are allowed full reign to abuse the people under them and not one stops them or even discourages it. Additionally the problem is institutionalized because there is little incentive for hard-working, good people to stay in the lower tiers.

2. "You get to work with some of the brightest minds in research and patient care."

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

The vast majority of the people at UCSF are smart, dedicated and genuinely want to help people through basic science, clinical research and patient care.

Cons

Like any big organization, it can be bureaucratic and they are sometimes slow to adapt to changes. Some senior managers are behind the times and can slow progress.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas and try something different if you want different results.