UC San Francisco - Smart people, beautiful and fun city, not enough money or time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

"Smart people, beautiful and fun city, not enough money or time"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The research environment is really stimulating and collaborative. There are always great seminars and new postdocs coming from other places to befriend and/or learn from. The faculty are all really passionate about doing good science, and it makes for a great training environment. In addition, there are numerous bay area science & technology events to attend.

Cons

It is incredibly expensive to live in San Francisco and UCSF does not account for the cost of living - salaries here for postdocs and graduate students are the same as they are in Nashville, TN, for example. Also, because the training environment is so top-notch, and the state of funding in science is so dire, many PIs are stressed and many people work 60-90 hours a week.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco

"Excellent Opportunities for Professional Development"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional development opportunities are encouraged, good salary, collaboration among different levels at the hospital, the feeling that you are making a difference

Cons

I was there during Operational Excellence and I wasn't effected but many of my co-workers were upset by the changes that caused.

Advice to Management

There was a mentorship program that you couldn't enter until you had been at UCSF for more than a year. I had to seek out my own mentors for advice and guidance when I first got there.

"Amazing people, poor work-life balance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, dedicated and high achieving people. Decent benefits. A mission that feels important.

Cons

You can get the best annual reviews possible, but don't expect a promotion, or raise or good work-life balance. What you will get is more and more work and less and less support to do it. When someone leaves their job, they won't hire a new person, they just make someone left behind do two people's (or more) job. And pay here is crap.

Advice to Management

Stop making all of us do more than one job description. Support promotions and raises. The second I can get a better position somewhere else, I'm outta here.