UC San Francisco - A very pleasant working environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

"A very pleasant working environment"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The lab I worked for was really what made this job one of my favorites so far. They were like my family away from home. As long as we got our work done, we could take a long lunch or leave early every once in a while. Working at a world class research institute also led to six publications in 4 years. Plus I'm still being cited on new papers even though I left 2.5 years ago. There are also many opportunities to attend medical/health seminars and network with the medical school, receive scholarships for continuing education, and collaborate with other departments.

Cons

As with any lab job, the work can get monotonous. I felt like I mastered most of my responsibilities after 1 year. But this also gave me more time to expand my role, improve procedures and protocols, organize, be involved in the grant writing process, and learn more about the research itself (not just the bench work). Because of this, I received a promotion from SRA I to SRA II after 1.5 years.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco

"Amazing university and hospital!"

Pros

Academic and clinical strength from top to bottom

Cons

Some attending physicians need to adjust their attitude

"Staff Research Associate"

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning environment to kick-start your career. Be sure to find a good mentor to follow and try to learn as much as you can. There is wiggle room to take on different task due to the academia environment.

Cons

Little to no room for growth. Senior management does not care or see the hierarchy of new and old employees. Some employees will just sit there the entire day and do nothing while others are scrambling to finish the work.

Advice to Management

Have a better over sight on your staff members and be sure everyone is adequately trained.