UC San Francisco - UCSF is an okay place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

"UCSF is an okay place to work."

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working at UCSF (especially as an SRA) allows you to learn a great deal about whatever area you work in. I think that it provides you with a valuable opportunity for personal growth. In my position, I have a lot of freedom. My supervisors are available to help when I need them or have questions, but they generally leave me to do my job as I wish. The guidance I have received from my supervisors has been excellent and they have been very proactive in getting me the tools I need to work comfortably and easily.

Cons

Transportation to work, salary could be better, UC should pay for a bigger part of health insurance.

Advice to Management

Increase salary and benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco

"UCSF is a very intellectually stimulating environment"

Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Intellectual abilities of people - these are some of the smartest people you will ever work with. Having these coworkers around results in a very entrepreneurial atmosphere that also brings about a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the workplace. Compared to similar institutions, the amount of collaboration is also much higher at UCSF. People are always willing to talk or lend a hand or just suggest other sources of information when they don't know the answer. The facilities are also great. Every piece of equipment is basically here and since it's a very collegial atmosphere, everything is available for use after asking.

Cons

The worse thing is really the hours. Being a scientist, you have to work anywhere from 50-80 hour weeks to get your experiments done. Often, that includes a lot of downtime that allows you to catch up on reading articles or running personal errands, but still, when you are spending 10-15 hour days in lab, that can have a huge effect on your morale. The other major downside is the salary compensation. Being a public institution, we barely get paid for our time and efforts. Given the number of hours actually worked, this number works out to something like $3 per hour.

Advice to Management

The advice I would give to Senior Management is be much more open and transparent than you currently are. Employees don't know what's going on and it often leads to confusion and much more griping than necessary.

"Be careful in what you accept in a position."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you want a job you can work at until you die

Cons

Lots, don't expect any type of raise based how well you do your job. Don't expect to grow within the department you work in.

Advice to Management

Easy, be able to fully do your job.