UCLA - Did not pay well but very interesting | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

"Did not pay well but very interesting"

Former Employee - Lead Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Lead Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

As a research assistant, I could work from home or from campus; I had access to the best research sources and technologies, and the job was very interesting. The campus is beautiful and it is a dream place to work if you like research in social sciences.

Cons

No benefit, bad salary, expensive parking, and not rewarded according to your abilities but according to your level of education. I only had a bachelor degree but I was doing the job of a graduate student. Because I was not a graduate student I was not offer another job opportunity once my job ended.

Advice to Management

To implement a work review program so that gifted workers can have an opportunity to grow and perhaps start a graduate school program. Work experience is the best way to find out which graduate program to join.

Other Employee Reviews for UCLA

1. "Teaching at UCLA was very rewarding in my department because the training was good and the support was excellent."

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There are so many resources available on campus to employees and students to enjoy. There's a lot of campus pride.

Cons

The bureaucracy is awful and it makes getting even simple things done a big pain. The parking is also very, very expensive.

Advice to Management

TA's are treated fairly well given the tuition reimbursements that accompany salary; however, payment for jobs needs to happen a lot earlier or at more frequent intervals. If you're teaching in the Fall, you don't get paid until a month after school starts, which after three months of no summer salary makes for a very long time between payments.

2. "Working at UCLA as a postdoc is great"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

University Reputation
    Benefits
    Faculty knowledge, experience
    Quality of coworkers and fellow scientists

Cons

Salary vs. Living expenses in LA

Advice to Management

Great experience, not much can change to make better