UCLA - Engineering Intern in Facilities Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

"Engineering Intern in Facilities Management"

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I was working in an internship position that gave me a lot of flexibility and provided a great learning opportunity. My boss was very concerned with my education and would go to great lengths to help me in my understanding. He assigned me reasonable tasks and gave me a great deal of leeway to get them accomplished. There was a good level of interaction among employees and everyone was glad to help me when I needed clarification or more information. I was able to take time off when I needed to and I was relatively free in choosing my hours.

Cons

The pay at UCLA was not as great as working at other engineering internships as I have had in the past. A lot of the tasks that I was required to do were kind of repetitive, and some of the working conditions were rather extreme, it being often quite hot and noisy, and needing to work around steam piping a great deal of the time was rather dangerous, although proper safety precautions were taught and implemented. I did not see a great deal of opportunity for developing a career that would have been very fulfilling, it would have been tedious work that I did not find very stimulating.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working with the management, they were always helpful and would go out of their way for me. Communication was generally pretty easily accessible, but at times duties were a bit unclear. I enjoyed the freedom given to me to pursue my goals, and the oversight when I needed it was not overbearing.

Other Employee Reviews for UCLA

"It's a boring job that pays poorly, but it's on campus and pretty convenient scheduling wise."

Former Employee - Student Support Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Support Staff in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good Schedule for a student, because they work around your school schedule.

Cons

The pay is fairly lousy, and the manager is not the best. It's hard to make any money doing the work, and sometimes they are less than flexible about your work time. It's also just a lot of boring rote work and stuff like that, which isn't exactly the most fun or exciting work in the whole wide world. It's just so boring that the days really stretch out, and sometimes you will just have to leave early because there is no way you can possibly handle an extra 2 - 3 hours at the place. It's kind of iserable in that regard.

Advice to Management

It would be hard to make that job better.

2. "Great place to work for a little while."

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA

Pros

collegiality, is a good place to work while going to school. You get to meet a lot of people who are coming into the gym to work out, and it is definitely a place to be seen on campus. The work is not really hard and you are able to do other things such as homework or studying whil eon the clock. Some of the management realizes taht this is just a student job, so they are not super serious or hard on you, while others have an unrealistic expectation of what employees should do. Overall, I would recommend working at the JWC.

Cons

not really a future working there

Advice to Management

let the workers have more involvement in managament decisions