UCLA - Its all about where you work. Campus can be fulfilling, Health systems side fed by ego and $$$ | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

"Its all about where you work. Campus can be fulfilling, Health systems side fed by ego and $$$"

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Contractor - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you end up on the campus side there is more likelihood of advancement

Cons

As a staff employee you often are powerless to make system changes. Procedures can be antiquated even though this is a 5 star school.

Advice to Management

Check yourself. The constant upheaval in the school among faculty is crazy and often staff is caught in the middle

Other Employee Reviews for UCLA

1. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is wonderful to be on a US campus and to work with students and faculty. I am happy with the vacation time offered and you can earn more vacation time off by donating blood.

Cons

I find that I am paying more for parking and medical insurance than elsewhere. It also appears that promotions and raises may prove difficult, although I have not yet tried.

2. "Okay, could be better"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some great professors you can TA for who are awesome at teaching and really care about the issues that come up with teaching students. Other

Cons

In my department there's one class that all new teaching assistants take, but it is not very helpful because it only covers very general teaching tips. It's not at all helpful for managing issues that will come up in the class you end up TAing for. There is also not a lot of guidance in program for improving at teaching.

Advice to Management

They need to create a meeting group that meets throughout the quarter and year where teaching assistants for specific departments can talk about how teaching is going in their classes.