UCLA - Bureaucratic but well meaning | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

"Bureaucratic but well meaning"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great faculty
great researchers
some intelligent students
friendly staff

Cons

faculty are often overworked and stressed
staff work strictly 9-5 and sometimes more like 10-4

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what management could do better.

Other Employee Reviews for UCLA

1. "Deceptive hiring practices. Too many oldtimers - who are WAY behind the curve."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Working with students is by far the best part of working for UCLA. Get out and enjoy the beautiful campus.

Cons

Stuck in the past. Management refuses to embrace technology or new best practices. Anderson school of "mis-Management" has a horrible culture. High level professors, especially the emeriti, are a sham. Definitely a case of "those who can't do - teach".

Advice to Management

Wake up and appreciate new talent and clear the path for advancement by thinning out the old wood instead of letting us slip through your fingers while you chase your tails and quote policy and procedures from the 1980's.

2. "Unmotivated, underpaid employee"

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The campus itself if nice and the surrounding city has a lot of restaurants. Health benefits are good. Vanpool service is convenient.Having this prestigious university in your resume is also a plus.

Cons

I was started at the lowest hourly rate for my position, which was fine since I did not have much experience. I was told that an increase would be requested for me once I received more training and experience. After three years of working here, the only raise I've received was the campus-wide salary increase of 3%, all while several coworkers have gotten equity increases during that span of time. I think that is because management plays favorites, and neglects everybody else. Even after requesting to be put into consideration for an equity increase, I was told that they are no longer putting through requests for the time being. Proper training is limited; they just throw you in a classes after classes without showing you how they all connect. Fund management classes are useful for people who already have some experience with the job responsibilities, not for new employees. Opportunities for advancement seem hard to come by. Department director seems to be set on implementing rules without her staff's input. Office has high turnover rate. Hard work goes unrecognized, too much politics, no investment in employees, work is monotonous. The only reason I've stayed this long is because of co-workers, but at this point, even that is not enough.

Advice to Management

Hard working employees should be rewarded or at least made to feel appreciated, not ignored. Or else they might start looking for new job, as I am currently doing.