UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals - I've never been so happy--or so frustrated | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals

"I've never been so happy--or so frustrated"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I find my job and the work I do very satisfying. I have learned so much working at an amazing hospital/campus that houses ground-breaking research and exceptional patient care. I am inspired each day.
UCSF is rated the second-best academic work setting in the country, according to a 2009 survey conducted by The Scientist magazine. It's two greatest strengths are employees’ overall job satisfaction and their relationships with their colleagues. I really enjoy working with my fellow colleagues, not only because they are geniuses, but because they have great personalities. They are both professional and very relaxed. Everyone has a great sense of humor. These are some the qualities that contribute to the intellectually stimulating and laid back atmosphere that I love so much. There is a reason why some people call UCSF "U Can Stay Forever"

Cons

I've received stellar performance reviews, but not a single raise. It seems like it doesn't matter that I'm doing exceptional work. My boss says I should get a raise, but apparently, her word doesn't carry much clout. Neither of us understand how the system works, and HR is more than happy to keep us in the dark. In fact, HR has been more of an obstacle than a resource. It's a bit disheartening. I have heard the same complaints from my friends--all of whom are incredibly bright, well-educated, and hardworking. On the flip side, some of my co-workers are either lazy or brainless, but they make more than me based off how many years they've had the job. I have no intention of leaving, I really do love my job. I'm just not sure I love my employer.
Also, there is too much job security. Once someone has maintained a position at UCSF for 6 months, they've earned "career employee" status. This means it is near impossible to get fired here, unless you punch someone in the face. This makes it safe for employees to perform poorly without any consequences. Perhaps this is the reason why UCSF was nicknamed "U Can Stay Forever."

Advice to Management

HR seems useless. I think senior management needs to seize this poor economy as an opportunity to make positive changes to employee retention policies. What do they get paid to do anyway? They are the factor that sets UCSF back from being the perfect place to work. They make no effort to retain their best employees. You need to fairly compensate employees. Across the board low merit raises don't help with improving performance or morale. Raises need to be based more heavily on job performance and feedback from supervisors. HR needs make a genuine effort and and work more efficiently to process promotions, rather than making employees and supervisors jump through so many hoops.
Also, please rethink job security by firing incompetent staff. UCSF should be able terminate any employee with a poor performance record.

Other Employee Reviews for UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals

"Visit, but don't stay..."

Current Employee - Analyst IV-Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst IV-Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You can go to sleep at night knowing that, even if it's in a small, indirect way, you've contributed to improving the health and quality of life for many people. The benefits package is outstanding. If you live in SF, commuting is a dream; the Parnassus campus is right off the N-Judah, and UCSF offers free shuttle service to its other sites.

Cons

The biggest downside is the culture--- behavior that would be unacceptable in a 3rd grade classroom is tolerated here. I've worked at two other academic hospitals, and I find the abuse by physicians (toward staff) at UCSF to be shocking. Very little opportunity for mentoring or professional advancement for administrative/nonclinical positions. There is no incentive for bright, educated staff to stay beyond two years--- the benefits ARE terrific, but salaries are too low and not competitive. It breaks my heart to see UCSF continue to lose bright, talented folks, while holding onto the deadweights (who know that the bureaucracy will protect them forever). Labor Relations offers no support to managers. If you're interested in working in a school of medicine, look to Stanford. If you want to work in an outpatient setting, look to Sutter (CPMC).

Advice to Management

2. "Dynamic but stressful environment"

Former Employee - Resident Physician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Physician in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Outstanding faculty and co-workers. Attracts motivated, smart and driven people. Diverse patient base. Although advancement from within may not always be available, could be a good springboard for future job opportunities.

Cons

Very busy, at times under-staffed, and financially strained. Mentoring needs improvement, although it is difficult to find an appropriate venue for this as the work load is so great.

Advice to Management

Optimize mentoring. Positive and negative feedback review sessions helpful.

Work at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals? Share Your Experiences

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals