UK Border Agency - working for public sector | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UK Border Agency

"working for public sector"

Pros

good pension, structured work, shifts. levels of pay.

Cons

dissatisfaction with work situation
only getting worse

Advice to Management

spend more

Other Employee Reviews for UK Border Agency

1. "All Change - All Bad!"

Current Employee - Executive Officer in Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Officer in Croydon, England (UK)

Pros

There are some good points:
    Flexible working (parents - I'm not one - seem to get a particuarly good deal)
    Ok salary in terms of being able to live, but not reflective of the importance of many of the roles
    Good transport links into and out of Croydon (if you can't bear to live here)

Cons

The Home Office has undergone major changes recently and the creation of the UK Border Agency is one of the biggies!
    There seems to be a freeze on recruitment across large swathes of the organisation - attempts to reduce staffing levels via retirement opportunities but also automatic warnings (no discretion) for sick leave unless you fit into very strict 'exceptional circumstances'.
    Morale is at an all time low across UKBA - the media misrepresent what we do, and how well we do it - and then our dumb ass senior management react to the unjust criticisms with badly thought out short-term fixes that just exacerbate the problem / create new problems elsewhere and make or moral plummet even further!
    Don't work here if you want to feel valued, if you want to be invested in, if you want to be treated fairly and with respect!

Advice to Management

Stop doing without listening, stop doing without thinking and start properly investing (not just doing enough to tick all the Investors in People boxes) in your staff. Train your managers to effectively manage and scrap harmful automatic sick warnings and the ridiculous and unfair bonus system.

"Assistant Immigration Officer"

Pros

I had a great experience working for the Agency with best ever 11 years of teamwork which enhanced me to gain a good knowledge of various Immigration duties.

Cons

No downside from my point of view