UL - Good Job That Has Potential To Be Great | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UL

"Good Job That Has Potential To Be Great"

Current Employee - Engineer
Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at UL full-time

Pros

Senior Management has a clear vision on how to grow the company and make it more competitive and secure. Promotes the importance of work/life balance and strives to provide ample room for professional growth.

Cons

Middle Management tends to manipulate, mislead, or otherwise lie to direct reports when confronted about tough issues such as compensation, bonuses, or performance appraisals. Insurance benefit is UHC with Medco Prescription Benefit rider, which is terrible if you've ever had to deal with them...

Advice to Management

Better training for middle management so that they will embrace the culture you are promoting - after all, you need them to execute it if you want it to happen. Drop UHC/Medco and go to BCBS. Medco is a roadblock between us and our doctor - they get to decide which prescriptions we can have and which ones we don't need. Why can't a doctor be a doctor any more?

Other Employee Reviews for UL

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Handler I in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Project Handler I in Melville, NY

I worked at UL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their public-safety mission is second to none. Good benefits package and work-life balance including flexible hours. The friendly atmosphere is filled with people who are passionate about their work.

Cons

Their training leaves much to be desired. You pretty much have to learn as you go. In time you do catch on.

"Great 5 years so far"

I have been working at UL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always room for advancement. A good company to grow with. Many employees with 30+ years with UL. Absolutely love my team and my bosses.

Cons

Certain departments are hard to get out. Some managers will block your transfer claiming that you are too valuable.

Advice to Management

Weak marketing strategy. Should spend more energy educating the public. After all the public are the users.