UMBC - Kind-hearted people who made common errors when attributing graphic design feedback | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UMBC

"Kind-hearted people who made common errors when attributing graphic design feedback"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I discovered I am able to work with a variety of personalities on tight deadlines, and I was given a great opportunity to learn those skills. In fact, I found out that my co-workers were creative in finding ways of improving their surroundings.

Cons

I found out that university bureaucracy does not allow for the most creative expression. In other words, the university limited my ability by creative rigid and inflexible style guide requirements.

Advice to Management

Develop a better understanding of the work before criticizing the improvements required.

Other Employee Reviews for UMBC

1. "Wonderful University"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good faculty with numerous opportunities for professional growth and continuous learning through workshops. High quality leadership from the President on down.

Cons

No cons, as this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be a role model for excellent educational leadership.

2. "No Respect and Low pay in return for Excellent Adjunct Teaching"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at UMBC part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The classes are filled and students are wonderful; library services are wonderful. To find respect and good service, you have to look beyond the department you are teaching in and rely on this respect from the wider campus community and offices.

Cons

The pay is too low and no benefits; No respect from the department chair and its full time faculty

Advice to Management

Raise the amount paid per course taught, provide copying privileges, and needed supplies like red pens, exam booklets, phone use, and benefits or the quality of your adjunct teaching will decrease. In other words, you will start getting the type low-scale teaching to match the low-scale wages.