UPMC - Beware the monopoly | Glassdoor

"Beware the monopoly"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

large organization- can have variety in opprotunities

Cons

unresponsive management, do not adhere to employment laws concerning culural diversity. Management turns its head when there are legitimate issues affecting job performance of the direct care staff including nurses, assistants, social workers etc. Rather than address these problems, they promote policies that cause high staff turnovers and increased costs of healthcare.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what the "little" guys are telling you. Violating current laws can badly affect all levels of performance and management. When the direct care stff is sruggling to attempt to provide quality care and feel like they cannot do it because of policies, they tend to move on to other hospital systems or leave nursing/healthcare. This is the responsibility of the management at each hospital- if they are not sensitive to what is gong on, then they cannot manage the hospital. The violation of employment laws is a serious concern and working conditions for the nurses is frequently unsafe especially in outlying hospitals.

Other Employee Reviews for UPMC

"UPMC - Highly recommended as a place to work"

Current Employee - Physician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Physician in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Well-run company exhibiting civic and community responsibility as well as responsible business practices.
    Despite focus on a single field (healthcare), successful efforts at diversification of business model including "exporting" healthcare models to other countries and developing health-related technology.
    Fair salaries and excellent benefits package including low-cost family health benefits, employee-assistance programs, health and wellness initiatives, and 403b along with cash-balance plans.
    If one is a physician, "back-office" functions are effectively and efficiently run, leading to higher reimbursements. These functions are rated among the highest in the country among academic medical centers.

Cons

Quite Oakland-centric and Presbyterian/Shadyside-centric; if you are an employee working in the surrounding community, the opportunities for recognition and career advancement are somewhat more limited.

Advice to Management

Your heart is in the right place in terms of patient-care initiatives; however, you need to do a better job engaging and involving front-line staff. Is what you preach being practiced in front of patients on a daily basis?

2. "TO ALL THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE EMPLOYMENT WITH UPMC: I AM SYMPATHETIC FOR YOU! YOU ARE MISSING OUT :-)"

Current Employee - PHLEBOTOMIST/EKG in Braddock, PA
    Current Employee - PHLEBOTOMIST/EKG in Braddock, PA

Pros

UPMC is a fanastic company and one of the most reputable places of employment! It ranks on the honor roll of hospitals for many years running and I believe that will forever be it continued. I am a young, responsible individual who recently was given a chance for experience in my newly graduated phlebtomy program at UPMC Braddock. I am very fortunate to have my foot in the door with such a respectful company like UPMC! It will set me up for the rest of my life! It's amazing to feel such pride and faith in the company you're affiliated with, it isn't hard for others to be jealous! I'm going to school for ultrasound technician in cardiac echoes as well and I am rest assured that I will have no problem obtaining a position with any of UPMC's magnificent facilities. It's not everyone's luxury to say they actually enjoy their work and whom they work with, but I happen to be one of the incredibly blessed ones to say I adore everybody in my department at UPMC -Braddock!

Cons

Working in the health field, it is a major plus if you are able to turn ANY negative into a positive, so therefore; with this question the only thing I can answer is that the only downside of working at UPMC is knowing that there's several thousand health care workers of OTHER companies who are deprived the privileges and pride of knowing they work for one of the nation's top health care providers-UPMC!

Advice to Management

Keep up the fanastic work ethic and strengths to continue the tremendous growth UPMC has gained in the last few years alone!