UPS - it is the best challange ever found | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UPS

"it is the best challange ever found"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Khobar (Saudi Arabia)
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at UPS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

its the best win win organization ever

Cons

you have to work under big pressure

Advice to Management

just remember you were an entry level employee once in your past

Other Employee Reviews for UPS

1. "Best job you can get without a college degree."

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

By far the best benefits you can get for only working 17 hours a week.

Job advancement all depends on timing (everything is seniority based except management) but is very much worth it if you can become a package/feeder/air/combo driver.

Great work out.

Teamster (union) influence (in most areas it's pretty good - some centers I've worked at were absolutely terrible as far as the company/union relations)

Cons

Very physical - at my current center (of 5 years) I've seen 4 or 5 military reserve employees quit due to physical stress (they actually walked out mid sort). When working a night sort (local sort), summer temperatures in the trailers average over 140 degrees. During the winter, preload sorts (morning sorts) can be single digit temperatures depending on where you live - and you WILL work in it.

Though I listed it as a pro, seniority based job advancement can be terrible in specific cases.

You can only transfer as a part-timer by means of education, death in the family, or mortal health/sickness. Transferring is impossible if there aren't any openings.

Advice to Management

Let us do our jobs. Stop meddling in "the work that is beneath you" (even though I found out a few years ago that very few UPS upper management has ever worked inside or even in package).

Don't be afraid to attempt to boot lazy employees. Being an union employee I can understand getting rid of other lazy employees taking advantage of teamster protection. They're only slowing the company down and wasting everyone's time being there.

Have more respect for senior employees and stop babying the new ones and playing favorites with your part-time/driver/building/regional/labor/HR managers.

"Good job, if you can handle it."

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler

I have been working at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After a year of work you get amazing health benefits. Paid vacation, holidays, 401K, everything is included even for part-timers thanks to the union. There's opportunity for advancement, either into management or as a driver. In my area, at least, it's a fun environment to work in.

Cons

Pre-dawn start times can be difficult to adjust to if you work the pre-load shift. You have to wait a year for the benefits. Depending on your location and the economy, waiting to advance to a driver position can take anywhere from 1-10 years, so it's kind of a crap shoot. Union - company relations can be frosty at times. Starting wages for part timers are kind of embarrassing.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the part-timers that keep this company running. We are the life blood!