UPS - Disappointed Package Handler | Glassdoor

"Disappointed Package Handler"

Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Chantilly, VA
Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pros to this job are the benefits and the overtime (after 5 hours in a shift you get time and a half)

Cons

Oh, where to begin.
Coworkers - Scum of the earth
Management - Also scum of the earth, the only thing that saved me was the shop steward.
Hours - Prepare to not have a life at all, there were times where I'd wake up and go to work, then get home and sleep till it was time to work again.
Workload - You're expected to complete an extraordinary amount of work every day, which absolutely no breaks. In fact if you take breaks you're penalized for it.
Salary - Yeah you know how minimum wage is $7.50? Well entry level is only $2 more.

Advice to Management

Ya'll haven't changed the beginning salary in the past 12 years, what's up with that? $9.50/hr was a lot back then, now it's barely anything. The low salary makes it harder to retain good people which then in turn affects employee moral. You need to take a close look at how you're treating your employees and change it.

For instance - I worked at UPS for 6 weeks before I received my first paycheck. WHY? IS IT THAT HARD TO SEND OUT A CHECK? That's just incompetence.

Other Employee Reviews for UPS

1. "Great company, NO work/life balance."

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at UPS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very solid company. MIP (Management Incentive Plan) is generally a nice bonus of stock and cash given in December. Time off is competitive to other companies for time served.

Cons

12-14 hour days are the norm. 14-18 hours per day during peak season are typical. Don't expect to learn much about Engineering while working here, you will be more of an operator than an engineer. Very few promotional opportunities available.

Advice to Management

Let engineers do engineering work, they are not operations supervisors. If you want someone to excel in a position, you focus on their strengths and help them grow in a productive manor.

"Great Company"

Former Intern - Social Media Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Social Media Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UPS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very welcoming, helpful and hard working. Work load was reasonable for an intern and pay was competitive. Very impressed by the overall attitude of employees. Interns were treated as part of the team.

Cons

Repetitive work on a day to day basis

Advice to Management

None.