UPS - Below Average Pay, Oppressive Environment, Almost No Oppurtunities for Advancement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UPS

"Below Average Pay, Oppressive Environment, Almost No Oppurtunities for Advancement"

Former Employee - Specialist in Coppell, TX
Former Employee - Specialist in Coppell, TX

I worked at UPS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the few upsides for employees of the company is the decent healthcare benefits. Was in a position that no overtime was allowed, work/life balance was not a problem.

Cons

Management does not want its employees who are not in management to receive advanced degrees, CPA or certifications for fear of the employees leaving. The salaries are below average. No overtime was allowed for my department. More work was continually being added with no additionally staffing or work hours being added. Managers feel like they can talk to the direct reports anyway they want. Advancement is a joke. There is a procedure in place that is rarely followed. This procedure is frequently circumvented. The highest percentage of turnover in my building was for the specialist position. Specialist is the position that is between the hourly and management. You have so many specialist who feel frustrated with the promotion process and management that the majority of them have found better jobs that paid more and offered other benefits not offered by UPS such as tuition re-imbursement for Masters, paying for membership dues, providing and/or paying for training, etc.

Advice to Management

The all of the consolidation that the company has gone through the past few years, it is no wonder that the specialist are frequently leaving. When you reduce the all of the management positions other than oeprations and business development, there is no where for the specialist to go.

Other Employee Reviews for UPS

"PT Supervisor"

Current Employee - PT Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - PT Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company. Nearly impossible to get fired. If you are smart and work hard they notice.

Cons

The job can be stressful. They don't want you to go over your hours, but they expect you to do more work than you can get done in the time allowed.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the development of your part time supervisors.

2. "Pretty Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Portland, OR

I have been working at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The characters, the union, the good exercise, the optional competition, the relaxed work environment. One of my co-workers pulled a prank on the supervisor and everyone just laughed. It was very down to earth and friendly.

Cons

Getting moved from belt to belt. I personally like knowing who I'm working with and what I'm doing before I go into work. Most of the time, UPS offered this predictability. However, because of the unpredictable nature of the shipping industry, UPS will often shuffle people from belt to belt, changing the work environment. Some belts are just miserable to work on as well. Doesn't seem like there's any solution, just a part of the job. Working nights is pretty lame as well tho.

Advice to Management

Seems like the management is doing the best they can with the situation that they have.