UPS - Overworked, uncaring management | Glassdoor

"Overworked, uncaring management"

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Lafayette, IN
Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are unmatched (although you can see change in the near future), still offers a pension-even for part-timers, lots of vacation after 20 years of service, union

Cons

Low pay for work required, holidays are really busy and hard to spend time with family, supervisors will overwork the good people and let the slackers slide, safety is talked about but little is done to ensure a safe work environment (time to do job, equipment to do job), union

Advice to Management

Do the undercover boss thing, not on TV just do the work of a grunt for a week without letting management at that center know who you are. It will open your eyes.

Other Employee Reviews for UPS

1. "Part time Supervisor"

Current Employee - Part Time Package Center Supervisor in Jacksonville, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Center Supervisor in Jacksonville, IL

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good People, products and services

Cons

pay sucks, medical coverage sucks, balance of life and work is not good either and no advancement opportunity.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss this place so much.. then I remember I'm just a sadist."

Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at UPS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lack of PC and BS in management behind closed doors. During my time at UPS I would be able to be brutally honest with my boss (behind closed doors, of course.) Being able to tell it like it is something I really miss.
    There is a brotherhood at UPS, and I'm not talking about the Teamsters. I ran into an hourly employee while vacationing in Australia and all we talked about was UPS.
    Pay isn't bad.
    Loading was always a good time.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations.
    No promotions.
    Soul destroying rage.
    No chance to better your skills, they keep you skillless to keep you at UPS.

I wish I could recommend working here, but I can't.

Also, any of you loaders/sorters thinking of going into MGMT?
    Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it.

The best comparison of being a PT Supe is this: Think of UPS as Star Wars. Empire is MGMT, Teamsters are rebels. PT Supes are the stormtroopers, they have poor aim and get killed the most. Just prepare to get lightsabered by Union Steward Skywalker and then get choked out by Sort Manager Vader.
    You're gonna be fighting p@##ing matches with no backup from upper MGMT, and its not worth it. The 8 hour days (When you're getting paid for 5.5, NO OVERTIME, too.)

That's all.

Advice to Management

There is no morale. Everyone is miserable and everyone knows they're getting screwed. From Teamster to Supe, I have never seen more angry people. I started here in 2006, and comparing 06 to 13 is like comparing two different companies. Quit playing the role of struggling company, we see volume increasing and hours being cut. We know we are not poor.

Also, the outdated equipment? Seriously?