UPS - Good company | Glassdoor

"Good company"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Laurel, MD
Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Laurel, MD

Pros

UPS provides excellent management opportunities. Hours are long and management within the operations work very hard. The salary, benefits and stock make the hard work well worth it. Also, UPS is one of the only companies left that offers retirement benefits. Very smart company in hard economic times. Diversity is very big in UPS and females and males are working along side each other in the operations.

Cons

Work hours especially during holiday season.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing.

Other Employee Reviews for UPS

"Great stepping stone"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Overall the experience was positive. The upper management is very conservative and can be a bit rigid at times. The workload can be heavy and exhausting with lots of strategic initiatives and confusing competitions.

The training process is very thorough and the company does a good job teaching the basics fundamentals of sound business practices. The corporate training schools are educational and interesting while being fun. The company does have a strong team feeling.

The total compensation package was ok. I worked in two different states and experienced the opportunity to transfer within the organization. I was allowed to move states without losing my stock options.

Cons

Working for UPS can kind of resemble working for the military. The company has a rank-and-file management style where you earn your stripes. It does feel like you have to "do your time" before receiving promotions instead of being based on merit.

The work can be monotonous and lacks creativity. I think the company has a lot of potential to improve the workplace by encouraging a little more ingenuity.

Given the exhaustive nature of the work, not that it is overall that complicated, the total compensation package is just ok. The company would do itself a favor by improving the total salary. The benefits were good, no problems there.

During my transfer, I had to pay for the move, which I didn't mind. I moved from an area with a lower cost of living to a higher cost of living. While I did receive some consideration in my base salary, it was nowhere near close to an equivalent relative pay structure. This was a pretty major down-side.

The final decision that it was time to move on when the company went through a reorganization. Essentially, the company downsized managment jobs by one third. While my job in sales was secure, it was clear that there would be significantly fewer opportunities for advancing my career.

Good job and great career builder, but not worth the 30 year wait for a gold watch and a pension.

Advice to Management

I would suggest improving the total compensation package and encourage more interaction between all levels of management. The workplace definitely would be well served by encouraging more creativity.

2. "it's a job"

Current Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

benefits for part time work
    paid time off for part time work

Cons

Non union health and dental benefits are steadily becoming worse every year
    Pay increases are non existant if your a seasoned employee

Advice to Management

Ups expects that your job comes before your family. It was and still is an old boys runned company