URS Corporation - Interesting projects, good people, but you're on your own | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

"Interesting projects, good people, but you're on your own"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Projects worked on were interesting and varied in duration. Good people with a wide range of knowledge. Good policies & procedures and training program (mostly online). Ethical company. Good benefits consistent with peer companies.

Cons

People are more into their own thing and aren't particularly sociable. When a project ends, and there is not enough work to get you going on the next one right away, it is primarily up to you to find more work within the office or with other offices. Little effort spent to help you find work with another group, even though the work may not be the best fit with your skills.

Advice to Management

Interact more with staff to make it a little more familial, foster more collaborative atmosphere with less "siloing" among the various group. This would help bill ability and hopefully profitability.

Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation

"Welcome to URS Dallas .... now find something to do or you'll be fired."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager and colleagues were a pleasure to work with. By todays standard they have good compensation and benefits.

Cons

There's no such thing as a perfect company to work for however URS Dallas is a total nightmare. The name of the game is to remain billable and it is up to each employee to find a project to work on without any internal help. If you aren't billable then your head is on the chopping block and you are reduced to walking around the office begging managers for a project to charge your time to. This is referred to "Pimping yourself out" by many employees. Morale doesn't exist here anymore and "executive row" is more concerned about holding on to power than developing a business plan.

Advice to Management

Local executive management needs to realize that they have very intelligent and dedicated employees however when the economy improves there will be a mass exodus if conditions remain the same.

"Flexible hours, but oppressive management structure."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to make my own schedules, and as long as I was 100% billable, nobody bothered me.

Cons

I had to take on projects and tasks that weren't really my role in order to stay billable. I never had an issue with billability, but I saw my coworkers suffer. They were often forced to take furlough days or pay cuts or reduce hours in order to make Senior Management happy. It resulted in extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they are a cog in the wheel.