URS Corporation - Process Engineer | Glassdoor

"Process Engineer"

Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Morgantown, WV
Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good engineering design experience. 40 hour work week most of the time

Cons

No recognition for excellence. I have been a top contributor for last 3 years and received two 2% raises and one 4% raise. Most don't get annual raises. I received my PE license at the "strong" encouragement of my manager and never received the raise I was promised. To be fair to my manager, it was upper management that said no. They wouldn't even pay for my PE stamp ($40) but asked me to use it on behalf of the company. Doesn't get much more insulting than that. Very poor benefits. No sick time or bereavement. No bonuses. I have a PE license and 11 years experience but stuck in a job classification that only required 4 years experience. If an employee is within 10% of the middle pay range for a job classification, then employee can only receive 2-4% raise regardless of performance. Did I mention my performance reviews listed me as a top contibutor. Managers can only classify10% of their employees as top contributors. They hold employees down to keep costs down. There are employees here that make less than the minimum of their job classification. Exactly how does that happen??? We've lost several good engineers and they're about to lose another. I'm currently searching for a new job.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees or they will leave.

Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation

"Great PR during interview process. Not so much after that...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leased a really nice office suite strategically placed beside a gas driller in Pittsburgh. (URS has since closed the office)

Cons

Opened an office, didn't staff it, didn't fund it and eventually closed it after luring me out of a permanent job with promises of a new and growing office. I left after 8 weeks of staring at an empty office. I had to bring my own garbage can and coffee pot. Terrible. Biggest mistake I've made in a 25yr. career. Fell for a huge bait-and-switch.

Advice to Management

Had some interesting benefits that other companies typically don't (pet insurance, etc.). However, the employer contribution to the real benefits was almost nil. Much like working for a temp agency where the costs are almost all paid by the employee. Company of this size should be able to find a health insurance plan for their employees that doesn't have a $5000 deductible, cover no prescriptions and still cost $600/mo. Shameful.

"My very first contracting experience was great."

Former Contractor - TMC Console Operator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - TMC Console Operator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at URS Corporation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was very good, recognition given constantly, timely increases.

Cons

HR wasn't always expedient, job security, performance reviews were shaky at best but this is because it was done by the client, more oversight was needed to be fair.

Advice to Management

get more involved with employee development to make contract more sucessful